Jamie Hurst

MadHatch

[PRIDE10: WEEK 1] Rainbow Away-Team Screenshot Contest

July 13 2019
Sorry I missed this - but just for fun :-)

Unknown Person liked this
Edited July 13 2019 by MadHatch
Patrick Aka Trick

trick

Using Pidgin to access Cryptic chat from outside their games

July 12 2019
I get asked about this one a lot: Is it possible to access chat from games like Neverwinter, STO and Champions Online (and possibly others I don't play) using an external chat program? And if so, how? Well, I just happen to have the answers to those questions.

Cryptic's games use the XMPP protocol (sometimes referred to as "Jabber"). XMPP is a fairly standardized chat protocol set up on public servers, and this means that other programs can be used to connect to it. While there are a lot of chat programs that support XMPP and can be used to connect to chat, my instructions will use Pidgin, since it's the one I use personally.

The first step, of course, is to download Pidgin here: https://pidgin.im/
Click the green download button, then do all the standard program installation stuff.

Once it's installed, you'll need to set up an account to log into Cryptic's XMPP servers.

The settings for the account should look something like this:

• Protocol needs to be set to "XMPP."
  • Username should be the name you use to login to Cryptic games.
  • Domain must be "crypticspace.com" as shown above.
  • Resource is the name that will appear before the "@" in in-game chat. In my configuration I use "Trick," so when I use Pidgin to chat with people in-game, I appear as "Trick@IMTrick." You can set this to anything you like.
  • Password is the password you use to log into Cryptic's games.

The rest of the settings are optional and I just leave them blank.

Next, click on "Advanced" at the top of the dialog, and check the settings there:

The defaults here are probably fine. I check to make sure the "Connection Security" setting is "Require Encryption," and the Connect Port is 5222. File transfers and BOSH are not used by Cryptic's chat system, so those settings really don't matter.

Once your settings are saved, Pidgin should be able to connect to the server. Now all you need to do is join the channels you want to see in Pidgin. To do that:

• Select "Buddies" from the Pidgin menu, then "Add Chat"
  • In the dialog that pops up, set Account to the account you set up to log into Cryptic's chat
  • Enter the channel you want to join into the Room field of the form. For example, to join the StonewallFleet channel, enter "StonewallFleet" as the room.
  • Password should be left blank.

If all goes well, you should now be in your chosen channel, and it should appear on your buddy list, under "Chats."

If you want to automatically rejoin that channel ever time you start Pidgin, you can right-click the channel in the buddy list, and select "Auto-Join" if you didn't already select that option when adding it.

Feel free to hit me up if you run into trouble.
3 people liked this
Edited July 12 2019 by trick
Isthisscience

Thval

[PRIDE 10] Stonewall's 10th Annual Pride Weekend

July 12 2019
Hey, I can't make it this weekend as I'll be staying with some friends in Sweden away from STO, but I wanted to say happy pride to y'all and hope it is great.
4 people liked this
Patrick Aka Trick

trick

[PRIDE 10] Stonewall's 10th Annual Pride Weekend

July 11 2019

Star Trek Scavenger Hunt

The #Pride10 scavenger hunt will send you across the galaxy in search of a number of targets, which you are tasked with photographing in the form of screenshots. 

When the event begins, the targets will be posted in Discord. From that point, players will have one hour to find and collect photographic evidence of each target before a one-hour timer expires. At that time, players will have a 15-minute grace period to upload their photos via a private message in Discord.

Targets will have an easy mode worth 1 point, and a hard mode, designated by square brackets, worth 5 points. For example, one of your targets might be:

A [Rose-Colored] Galaxy-Class Cruiser

In this example, one point would be awarded for any screenshot including a Galaxy Class Cruiser, but 5 points would be awarded if it was pink (either because of vanity shields, its paint job, or pink lighting in the zone where it was found -- as long as it fits the description, it counts). Points will be awarded only for one difficulty level -- you cannot get points for both hard mode and easy mode by submitting two screenshots, so don't even think about it, buster.

Rules

The rules are fairly simple:

• All targets can be found in areas accessible to all players, though some areas may have level requirements or may need to be unlocked through mission progress. However, all areas are fair game. If you can find a target matching the description in an area that's restricted to your faction, for example, that's OK.
  • If you locate a target, you are allowed to tell others where to find it. Or not.
  • Screenshots may be uploaded during the event, or during the 15-minute grace period afterward. Screenshots submitted more than one hour and 15 minutes after the even starts will not count toward your score.

Prizes 

After the contest is complete, not only will you have a collection of screenshots suitable for framing and hanging in your Ready Room, but there are SWCs to be had as well, courtesy of our lovely and talented Resource Department:

1st Place: 5 SWCs
2nd Place: 4 SWCs
3rd Place: 3 SWCs
4th Place: 2 SWCs
5th Place: 1 SWC
4 people liked this
Edited July 11 2019 by trick
Edward Saint Plazma

Saintplazma

I will be back one day

July 07 2019
That docking  bay will  stay  open  till  you can  come  back. All our best.
Cal

calx

I will be back one day

July 04 2019
all the best and until the day till you return we will be waiting!
Ian M. Walker

Michlo

[PRIDE10: WEEK 2] Pride Lands

July 04 2019
Thank you and congratulations to all. :)
2 people liked this
Kieran

Kierix

I will be back one day

July 04 2019
will always be here if you need us!
Brian

DrTheopolis

I will be back one day

July 04 2019
See you soon, and until then... be well.

Doc
Nick Swinford

NicholasJohn16

I will be back one day

July 04 2019
Hope things get better. We'll keep a light on for you.
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

I will be back one day

July 03 2019
Totally understandable! Thank you for letting us know you're okay!
We're here when you get back.

Good luck to you and junior!
Viridian Green

viridian74

I will be back one day

July 03 2019
Life sometimes means boldly going where you thought you could never go, and I did. I am a single parent now, things are chaotic and ugly, but once junior and me have a safe place to call our own, and I have reliable access to the net again, I will be back. In the meantime, I want to thank all the wonderful people I met in the fleet for your kindness, patience and all the fun. Fly safe!
6 people liked this
Kevin Van Eeten

Chipz416

A favour please.

July 03 2019
Done, and good luck to your sister!
Ian M. Walker

Michlo

A favour please.

July 03 2019
Hiya,

Would you please consider doing me a favour and voting for my sister's book for the cover of the month?

https://allauthor.com/cover-of-the-month/5082/?fbclid=IwAR3dmP8NRvRGvyHQWO5piFqRrl8BMF2cuF3jDgY06dHFrNcwRCP5iMNuIfA

At the time of this post, she is in 10th place and I'd really like to see her get higher.  It would undoubtedly give her a boost in mood and perhaps exposure.

Thank you.
3 people liked this

July 02 2019
Quote by calx
If you didn't enter, even if you may feel that you have nothing to be proud of

Yeah that's why I ultimately gave up
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

July 02 2019
Ohhh!! your ALL winners!!! what a great decision!!
No judging needed, these were great posts and i truly enjoyed them a lot.
 Very inspiring and some interesting and different life steps in your historys. 

#Pride10
3 people liked this
Cal

calx

July 02 2019
Thank you to all the entrants to Pride Lands, you've opened your hearts and souls into sharing what and/or who makes you proud!

It has truly been inspiring reading all of these submissions and it is therefore with great pleasure that we announce that all of you have been awarded 3 stonewall credits each! Please give some time for your accounts to be updated in due course.

If you didn't enter, even if you may feel that you have nothing to be proud of, or a little shy, we hope that this event has and will continue to inspire you as well as others to stand proud in future. We'll be posting all of these entries in future editions of the Stonewall Times to keep on inspiring members old and new.

Thank you for making my first event so memorable for me personally and for contributing to our Stonewall family chorus!

Don't forget to buy raffle tickets from any of the Resources Dept members - catch us in game or message us on Discord or here!

#pride10
4 people liked this
Dave

Voleron

Writing Contest: Fables of Betrayals!

July 01 2019

Thank you to everyone who entered our "Fables of Betrayals" writing contest!  The contest is now closed and we'll be taking this next week to read over all the entries and name our winners!  Keep subscribed to this thread for the final results!

3 people liked this
Kieran

Kierix

May'Qep - 7 July 2019

July 01 2019
Woo!
2 people liked this
Ian M. Walker

Michlo

June 30 2019
My greatest pride centres around my sister, Caryn Walker.

I'm the eldest of five.  When we were kids, I often had to act like a parent.  Apparently, I even used to run school classes for my siblings (register and all!).  I don't remember that or most of my childhood as it is blocked due to what happened to us.

Our parents were abusive.  Particularly, my stepfather, Caryn's real father.  For me, it was being hit with cricket bats, soup ladles and later, fists.  For Caryn, it was sexual abuse from the age of eight.  She thinks this happened to me too but, as I said, it is blocked.  I have a few hazy memories which may suggest it but early childhood is just a blank otherwise.  Later on, I do remember the constant beatings and the ever-present fear.  I used to escape into books or, when I was old enough, to my Nan's house.

Our other sister, Jenny, was taken into care at a young age.  The reasons are murky.  She ended up dying at 36 due to heroin abuse causing a brain embolism.  

Caryn took the brave step to first, tell the family about what happened and then, unbelievably, to report him and take him to court.  I went back to England in 2011 to be part of the court case as a witness.  He was found guilty on 23 counts and put away for 16 years.

This was a huge turning point for Caryn.  But, it wasn't enough.  Though it took a few years she realised she hadn't had the closure she had thought she would obtain.  She was starting to feel a burgeoning strength, a voice she had never had.  She decided to go further and try to help others in similar situations and to give voice also to our sister, Jenny.

So, with the help of a wonderful ghostwriter, Caryn wrote a book, dedicated to Jenny.  It was published last year and has been doing very well, now being translated into a few different European languages and as of a couple of months ago, finally available over here in the US.

Caryn has been interviewed by newspapers and radio, given book signings and talks at little cafes and the like and now has been invited to speak at public events for organisations such as Shatter Boys/Shatter Girls UK.

She has been inundated with positivity from people telling her how she has given them the courage to take steps for their own situations.  Over and over she is thanked by people.

This is what it was all for.  This is why she had to get it out there.  This has given her the closure she needed.  Turning a horrific negative into a helpful positive and growing that strength into a woman who will not be quiet or silenced (some of the family have tried to) and will dedicate herself to helping others.

Despite everything, Caryn has always been a warm, friendly and helpful person who people adore.  Until her revelation, nobody (including me as I just don't remember) had any idea of the struggles she had and was still dealing with due to her start in life.  She has attended Pride events and has always been supportive of me since I came out at 17 (when my mum asked me and then I was subsequently thrown out).  

With her help and encouragement I am now getting my own treatment for what Caryn was diagnosed with last year and now talks about - CPTSD, Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  It is not as widely known as CPTSD but originates with systematic and prolonged trauma.  She is educating and reaching so many people.

She might be younger but I have always been in awe of her strength, particularly with regard to the above.  I doubt there is anybody I will ever feel prouder of.

As Caryn says, if you tell your own story, it could one day be a guide for others.

Thank you for reading.

#hernamewasjenny
#cptsd
4 people liked this
Edited June 30 2019 by Michlo