The Naked Time - Part 4 - Time

Ted Hembach

TLara

The Naked Time - Part 4 - Time

July 28 2016
Episode "Time and again", VOY

Oh that's a nice one. I love those episodes with Tom Paris, especially the ones where he is en route with one other crewmember only, in this case with Captain Janeway herself. The scene in which he found the clock which isn't ticking anymore reminds me of us finding the Antikythera mechanism. I also love this episode for being a good example for the so-called "Grandfather Paradoxon". In the picture below you can see the trigger point, where it all started (or ended?).

[attachment=3644]Time_and_Again.jpg[/attachment]

Thinking of all those time mechanics makes not only Janeway a headache, I get one also. Let's have a look at the grandfather paradoxon: If you could travel back in time, could you meet your grandfather? Of course you could. Could you take a drink with him? Yes, why not. But what if this drink makes your grandfather so tired (okay, perhaps you take more than one drink...), that he won't leave the house to meet your grandmother? You wouldn't be born, because one of your parents wouldn't be born too. So, if you weren't born, how could you travel back in time to start the cycle?

What do we learn so far? Gravity and Lightspeed are not that what we thought they were, but what about time itself? Could we alter history, if we were able to travel back or simply communicate with the past? The last should be possible in a few years from now, if I get these CERN people right. As you may know, CERN tries to detect the famous "Higgs Boson". While doing so, something very odd happened: the detectors registered a particle even before starting the experiment, which was intended to produce those particles. They repeated their experiment several times, and on two other occasions the same happened. The new particle is the "Higgs Singlet", and according to the new theory they develop right now the Higgs Singlets is capable of travelling through the space-time continuum in both directions, forward and backward.

Large Hadron Collider - A Time Machine?

Causality-Violating Higgs Singlets at the LHC

Please note: The links are links to pages where they discuss the theory, and that they want to detect those Higgs Singlets. They already found them, but, however, I don't find those links again. So if you find links that prove that they found the Higgs Singlet, please add them in a reply. ThanQ!

If you want to read on, here's the rest of the naked time series:
The Naked Time - Introduction
The Naked Time - Part 1 - Magnetism
The Naked Time - Part 2 - Gravitation
The Naked Time - Part 3 - Lightspeed
2 people liked this
Edited July 29 2016 by TLara