Pokemon Go, or Pokemon No?

Emperordalek

Emperordalek

July 12 2016
Hey, everyone! I'm posting this because it came up in the fleet chat last night, and I wanted to get some more thoughts on it. A few of the fleet members were talking about playing Pokemon Go, and I only had the barest knowledge of it despite downloading it the day it launched. My students were also gushing about it, so I figured I'd give it a try, given that I have some small amount of knowledge about Pokemon from having played a few of the older games.

Now that I've had a chance to play it, I have to say that it's everything I'd hoped that Ingress (another cell phone game tied to real-world locations) was going to be and ended up not being. I'm already at level 6 and catching a lot more Pokemon than I remember being able to catch when I played those older games, and I'm already interacting with real people far more than I did while playing Ingress.

Case in point: on my lunch break I went to a local library that has three different GoStops, and I noticed a very cute guy there who was looking out into a field, then at his phone. I looked at my own phone and saw there was a Stop out there. We happened to look at each other at the same, then at our phones, then back at each other, and then started laughing. "Hey," he said, "when you have the free time, why not, right?" It was a very sweet interaction, the sort of thing I rarely find in online gaming - though, with this fleet, that has been changing. :)

Anyway, my questions are: how many of you are playing this? Are you finding it an overall positive or negative experience? Have any of you dared to do it while driving your car (I hate to admit it, but I was guilty of this today)? And is anyone in the Chicago area interested in meeting up and going out to catch 'em all?

Happy hunting!

- TBW
3 people liked this
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

July 12 2016
Your really lucky, i really want it so badly!!... but because my android uses Intel x86.. instead of the normal ARM that programmers use for games/apps... i cant use it :(

Any Phone app that gets you out of the house and active is a good one..much like fit bit, you've actually got to travel somewhere to achieve your goals.
I think its an excellent app for that... kudos to it!

It maybe just a fad.. but its good for you too.

(looks for another phone)

Shawn Birch

Parker

July 12 2016
So Pokemon No! for this guy. Although I tried to get my assistant to explain it to me today. Almost downloaded it then changed my mind. It seems to be very popular. Go go catch those Pokemon!
Johnathan

TunaraDax

July 12 2016
All I have to say is, GO TEAM RED!!!!
Edited July 12 2016 by TunaraDax
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

July 12 2016
Ah yellow all others shall perish and (Invalid video video code)

Quote by GXV3
I cant use it ;(

Help us Gareth you're our only hope.
2 people liked this
Edited July 12 2016 by Saintplazma
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

July 12 2016
HAHA Plazma that made me laugh.. because its true, your spot on
all my friends ... and people in work are like that now.

2 people liked this

Unknown Person

July 12 2016
LOL One of my co-workers had an outburst today, she was going on and on about one of them sitting on her desk.

Probably a good thing that the boss wasn't at his desk at the time, since he sits just the other side of her. :P
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

July 12 2016
Quote by SaintPlazma
Ah yellow all others shall perish

Blue is the way to go. Red and yellow heathens will be shunned in a gentlemanly manner.

Actually wanted to go for red since that's my favourite colour, but several of my friends had chosen blue already, so I went for blue too.

I'm liking the game thus far. It's not getting me out of the house more than usual (yet), but when I'm out and about, I do take detours to catch some.
Btw, what's up with these leaves? I read somewhere that there should be Pokemon hidden there, but how do I get them to get out into the open?
Shawn Birch

Parker

July 13 2016
Quote by Parker
So Pokemon No! for this guy. Although I tried to get my assistant to explain it to me today. Almost downloaded it then changed my mind. It seems to be very popular. Go go catch those Pokemon!

I cracked and downloaded it! Caught 3 Pokemon and 2 eggs on my way to a meeting lol. While I am not as fascinated as some, it is kinda fun...when I have time for it.

Pokemon GO!
Unknown Person liked this
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

July 13 2016
"Pokemon aww it won't run... " for me.

Until I have one of those new fangled smart phones to run it, I guess I will just sit and watch as the world forms pokemon gangs and starts vandalizing places in the game's name.
Lesley

LesleyA

July 13 2016
Have to say for me it is a Pokemon No so I am obviousy not a 'true' gamer :blink: If I eventually relent due to my brother and niece playing it then I will be RED!
Joseph Leyland

FuriousToast

July 13 2016
I play as I can though work gets in the way.

Team Instinct all the way
Jamie

tuvak

July 15 2016
no no no no no no no and........no!
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

July 15 2016
Quote by tuvak

OOOOooOOOoohhh Look, theres a Wild misery guts, hiding in the bushes!!

Lets catch him!!!!

Gavin

nivagni

July 16 2016
I used to go geocaching so this is the type of game for me.... just wish I could get the camera bit to work so I can see the pokemons in real life ;)
Shawn Birch

Parker

July 16 2016
Team Yellow!!!! Finally!
Jamie

tuvak

July 16 2016
Quote by GXV3
Quote by tuvak

OOOOooOOOoohhh Look, theres a Wild misery guts, hiding in the bushes!!

Lets catch him!!!!

Gareth, I'd definitely play if there was a Pokemon on you somewhere. I'd coax it to a place that is easy to find, and then...miss. :-)
Lesley

LesleyA

July 19 2016
I REALLY really tried to not play but did get talked into it :whistle: . Unfortunately I am having really severe problems with the Pokemon eating all my phones battery :blink: Still level 10 so far and am absolutely inundated with water pokemon so maybe I should go inland a bit :unsure:
Cal

calx

July 22 2016
professor willow is so hawt! :blush: