STO to cease on MAC

Iain Smith

eazzie79

STO to cease on MAC

February 05 2016
If you are unaware STO is to cease on the MAC client as of 02/05. Here is important info. if you are a MAC user.

Hi Captains,

We wanted to come back to follow up on where we currently are with the Mac version of Star Trek Online. As some of you are aware, we had issues in the recent past that affected our players from launching the client and playing Star Trek Online. We were able to work with our partners to bring the game back up and deliver all the previously available promotions that were unattainable by those players.

Following these issues, we looked at our Mac support overall and determined that we cannot promise to deliver an experience on Mac that meets our expectations of quality. After heavy consideration, we have decided to end support for the Mac version of Star Trek Online on February 5th. No other version of Star Trek Online is impacted.

Here are some important notes as we shut down Mac support:
The Mac client will be unavailable for download starting on February 5th.
Anyone with an existing Mac client will be able to play, but the game will become permanently unavailable via our mac client by Spring of this year.
We will be shutting off C-Store for all Mac users to prevent players from continuing to make purchases before it permanently shuts down.
We will be processing reimbursements and refunds over the next few weeks.
We will be canceling and refunding any active recurring subscriptions purchased between October 1, 2015 and today, including Lifetime Subscriptions. If a payment was made other than a credit card or Paypal, the value of the subscription will be reimbursed to your Arc Account Balance.
We will be reimbursing any Zen that was purchased through Arc or Steam between October 1, 2015 and today to your Arc Account Balance.
We will be reimbursing the value of any Packs purchased through Arc or Steam between October 1, 2015 and today to your Arc Account Balance.

For those looking ton continue to play our game after we shut down the Mac client, we would recommend using any of the popular programs to simulate a windows environment on your Mac, including the free software Wine.

We appreciate all the Mac Captains who have flown through the galaxy with us since 2014.

Perfect World Entertainment

If you have any questions regarding your accounts or subscriptions, please contact our support team through https://support.arcgames.com/

STO forum link: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1211294/mac-closure-notice
2 people liked this
Edited February 05 2016 by eazzie79

Unknown Person

STO to cease on MAC

February 05 2016
Well this is bad news for me.

I'll have to reinstall windows again on my Mac and dual boot for a while. Hopefully it won't close down before I get a chance to do that!

/sademote
Unknown Person liked this
Gelbin

Gelbin

STO to cease on MAC

February 05 2016
Well this seriously sucks. I really enjoyed this game. Looks like I'll now have more space on my hard drive.
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

STO to cease on MAC

February 05 2016
I find it interesting that a developer is recommending Wine and similar software. I would think the developers would be disinclined to vocally support nonstandard software.
Unknown Person liked this
Gelbin

Gelbin

STO to cease on MAC

February 05 2016
Isn't/wasn't the official Mac client already just running in a Cedega wrapper?

I don't know yet if my irritation with how Cryptic/PWE has handled this will outway my desire to play the game.