Star Trek beyond vs Axanar.

Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

December 31 2015
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/crowdfunded-star-trek-movie-draws-851474

Well, this is not good, if they want to shut down axanar, then, that makes me think STB is not good enough to stand against it, which is very, very bad for STB.

I hope Axanar survives, it looked awesome.
Unknown Person liked this

Unknown Person

January 01 2016
For me it all depends on (and I'm speaking of my opinion rather than any knowledge of US copyright laws) if the Axanar creators are planning on making any kind of commercial profit from Axanar.

If they are trying to make money then it seems pretty clear that they probably are in violation because you can't do that with an IP you don't have the rights to.

If thats not the case and every penny of the kickstarter and every penny of profit from the eventual distribution of the film stay out of the producers pockets than I don't see why they would bother to take action.

I remember years ago when another game company used the phrase RvR to describe their large scale PvP in the pre-launch advertising and Mythic Entertainment sued to protect their copyright as they owned the phrase RvR.

People hated mythic for it because from a consumer point of view RvR had grown larger than Dark Age and Warhammer and had become something of a common-used phrase like Pritt Stick or Hoover.

Mythic responded saying that HAD to protect their copyright because if you don't actively protect it than you simply lose it. If enough people are using your IP for profit and you haven't acted then a MASSIVE company starts using it and you try and stop them it may be to late because you failed to take action when past-companies did it. A precedent has been set.

So say CBS/Paramount decided not to act against Axanar and they make a nice healthy profit from Star Trek and then Warner Brothers decide to make a 200 million Star Trek movie CBS/Paramount may find their hands are tied because the mistake was made with Axanar.

I'm not saying that any of this is true just that it has happened in the past (not with something as high-profile as Star Trek and it would definitely prompt a massive multi-million pound lawsuit if it did happen) but sometimes you have to do things just to protect your property and a lot of projects are shut down in early stages because of copyright infringement.

With all that said. People have been holding Axanar up as a possible "best fan made evaaaahhh!" and I certainly hope it goes ahead because I liked the prelude and am eager to see more.

I also don't want to see the end of future fan made films because, even though a lot of them are bad, you just never know what fans are capable of.
Edited January 01 2016 by Unknown Person
Sej @Ereiid

Ereiid

January 01 2016
I've been coming across discussion of this elsewhere.

The scuttlebutt - and these, I should point out are unsubstantiated, so please take them with a grain of salt or disregard them as outright rumormongering, if you'd prefer - reads thusly:

Axanar Productions did so well with their Kickstarter campaign, that they purchased camera, sound, lighting, and editing equipment, and studio space - capital investments that readily breach the not-for-profit threshold that CBS/Paramount have used in the past to tolerate fan productions.

Beyond that, there have been additional (again, unsubstantiated) rumors of general hubris and unprofessional arrogance from the filmmakers.

Such much so that what is known is that Tony Todd, who features heavily in Prelude to Axanar, detached himself from the project well before CBS/Paramount threw the hammer down.

Again, is any of this true? Maybe the truth lies somewhere in between.

But it's not likely that Paramount has any concerns that the general viewing audience would watch Axanar instead of Beyond. There simply isn't a broad enough fanbase invested in fan films to make any serious dent in the multimillion dollar returns that Paramount can reasonably expect from Beyond.

And moreover, how many Trekkies - anywhere on the spectrum from casual to hardcore - would you imagine seeing Axanar and not Beyond? Even in spite of the general grumbling from the fanbase about the Bad Robot approach to Trek?

For what it's worth - it's not likely the Axanar filmmakers are going to be for want; at the very least, they have a bloody awesome sizzle reel to shop around for their next gigs.
Edited January 01 2016 by Ereiid
Iain Smith

eazzie79

January 01 2016
The lawsuit in its entirety can be read here .....

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2660454-Startreklawsuit.html
Mike

thanatos

April 25 2016
The lawsuit is additionally muddled by the content itself, Star Trek is an incredibly broad Space Opera IP and CBS/Paramount are going to have tremendous difficulty proving what's actually theirs and what's derived naturally from the genre.

In the end, Star Trek is derivative work, Roddenberry was supposedly a huge fan of Burroughs, Smith, and other Space Opera writers before making the show. Other than the characters themselves and some brilliant interpretations of the technology, it's pretty much great pulp space opera.
Edited April 25 2016 by thanatos
Petar

werePetar

April 25 2016
this is quite horrible news for me I had high hopes for Axanar
Tsar Agus

WhiteOnmyoji

April 25 2016
Axanar violated the principle that while CBS/Paramount does not like fan fiction, they tolerated it as longs it didn't take money out of their coffers. Axanar by it's very existence took money out of existing official Trek products.

Look I work for an organization that is kinda litigiousness about our IP (We own the rights to 5 interlocking rings, and if any one try to make a logo with 5 interlocking rings WE WILL SUE YOU FOR IT)

Axanar violates more than just The broad Star Trek IP. It Violates ship styles, configurations and other things. Not to mention CBS/Paramount's multiple licensing agreements INCLUDING Star Trek Online. Hell I'm surprised CBS waited this long. Ultimately the fan productions that followed the rules are the one that's hurt not by CBS or Paramount but by Axanar.
Zander Hawk

Zander_Hawk

Re:Star Trek beyond vs Axanar.

April 25 2016
Quote by WhiteOnmyoji
Axanar violated the principle that while CBS/Paramount does not like fan fiction, they tolerated it as longs it didn't take money out of their coffers. Axanar by it's very existence took money out of existing official Trek products.

Look I work for an organization that is kinda litigiousness about our IP (We own the rights to 5 interlocking rings, and if any one try to make a logo with 5 interlocking rings WE WILL SUE YOU FOR IT)

Axanar violates more than just The broad Star Trek IP. It Violates ship styles, configurations and other things. Not to mention CBS/Paramount's multiple licensing agreements INCLUDING Star Trek Online. Hell I'm surprised CBS waited this long. Ultimately the fan productions that followed the rules are the one that's hurt not by CBS or Paramount but by Axanar.

It's going to be interesting to see where the case goes. Aside from Paramount's first cause of action (copyright infringement), the more damaging conduct to Paramount to which they will have to prove (in their third cause of action) is how Axanar group is enjoying "a direct financial benefit from the preparation, duplication, and distribution of the infringing Axanar Works." This is where we will to see how and where there money is flowing.
Edited April 25 2016 by Zander_Hawk
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

April 26 2016
I donated to the Prelude, I think... didn't give up money when they came asking the second time around. The real losers here will be the donors that gave up hundreds or thousands of dollars, expecting a film that will never be produced.

Of the 15+ projects I've backed on Kickstarter, I think only 3 have been completed on-time and have been delivered without any kind of issue. Donor beware!

Sej @Ereiid

Ereiid

April 29 2016
The lawsuit is garnering all kinds of awesomely hilarious entertainment reportage:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/star-trek-lawsuit-explores-what-878837

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/star-trek-lawsuit-debate-klingon-888419

tl;dr

It seems like the lawyers are exchanging salvos by parsing what constitutes the reasonable Intellectual Property that we know as Star Trek. Worth a read for the bonkers logic being argued.
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

May 05 2016
/bump

Any new news?
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

May 22 2016
Quote by medgirl1025
/bump

Any new news?

How about this? http://www.pcmag.com/news/344649/cbs-paramount-dropping-lawsuit-against-star-trek-fan-film

ARES WINS.
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

May 22 2016
I meant to reply here yesterday. I saw the news that CBS wised up after much influence to dropping the case. I'm very happy.
Michael

Mstfrancis

May 22 2016
Thanks to JJ Abrams and Justin Lin, Paramount dropped the lawsuit and the film can be moved forward!

Victory for the little guys!
Zander Hawk

Zander_Hawk

May 22 2016
Also going after them was chump change. I'm surprised general counsel didn't just meet with Axanar group before this whole mess...unless general counsel needed some billable hours lol.
Alain Rojas

Ngagecloak

May 23 2016
Yay! A win for fans!
Mike

thanatos

Good news everybody

May 23 2016
Edited May 23 2016 by GXV3
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

Good news everybody

May 23 2016
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

Good news everybody

June 20 2016
Bad news, the lawsuit is still moving forward, even though the directors and such said what they did...
Alain Rojas

Ngagecloak

June 20 2016
I can't keep having my emotions toyed with over this. It's like dating a sadist. Somebody notify me when the ultimate decision has been reached.