Star Trek beyond vs Axanar.

Zander Hawk

Zander_Hawk

Re:Star Trek beyond vs Axanar.

June 21 2016
A few things are on calendar.  On a side note, I thought it was interesting that a third party filed an Amicus Brief in support of the defendants (Axanar) with some Klingon language in it -I thought Medgirl might like this :)

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2815758-Paramount-v-Axanar-2-15-Cv-09938-CD-CA-2016-04.html

(The District Court denied the application for this Amicus Brief on 05/09/2016)

Following this, it looks like on the same date, defendant’s (Axanar’s) motion to dismiss Plaintiffs’ (Paramount's) Amended Complaint (on the grounds that Paramount failed to state a legal claim/to successfully plea copyright infringement) was Denied. 

Thereafter at the scheduling conference, the district court set the following:

+ Last day to motion the Court to add parties or amend complaint is 6/30/2016.

+ Discovery Cut−Off Date: November 2, 2016

+ Motion Cut−Off Date (last day to file): November 16, 2016

+ Pretrial Conference: January 9, 2017 at 09:00 AM

+ Jury Trial (Est. 10−15 days): January 31, 2017 at 09:00 AM

**Settlement conference due to mandatory ADR must take place no longer than 45 days before Pretrial Conference.

Check out the filings here (it's a nice collection):

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzmetJxi-p0VZUJaQ2ZOYVZCQVk

So as you can see, settlement may still be possible but if not, this case goes to trial after the joyful (lol) process of discovery.
Unknown Person liked this
Edited June 21 2016 by Zander_Hawk
Isthisscience

isthisscience

June 21 2016
I've always wondered whether this was partly due to the (unconfirmed) time-hopping nature of the new tv series. If they were planning to do a section in the pre-TOS post-ENT era that perhaps covered some of the areas Axanar is looking at then, putting it lightly, it would add even more "brand confusion" to an already divided franchise. Why go head to head - and risk unfavourable comparisons - when you want the limelight on your own production only.

Although I do think the given reasons in the lawsuit do have legs to stand on. If you're using the film as a basis to build a set for other productions, you are making money off the back of a franchise you don't own. Poorly handled on both sides it seems like.
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

June 24 2016
http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-fan-film-guidelines-announced

CBS has officially nuked fan films. It is now revealed to us why CBS revoked the lawsuit. Had they lost in court this measure they have now taken would not have worked. This was a very sneaky move, only fitting of a backstabbing Romulan such as the Tal Shiar. May the survivors try to recollect like the after the destruction of Romulus and even Vulcan in that 'other' universe.

After reading CBS' fan guidelines dribble which is completely in their right [and I support that much because in the end it is their licensed work] the fact that CBS has gone and done this is why I now say that I've about lost my faith in Star Trek. From what I see: CBS cares about nothing more than the idea of lost revenue because of their own short comings. CBS does not believe in Gene's dream for us all, via the ideals displayed in Star Trek, as they are clearly not present in the one place that should be promoting them. Instead they chose to live in the hear and now by following the paths of greed, jealousy, and others.

It truly is a very sad day. I'll bet they feel so proud. I hope they lose more than they could ever imagine.

Frankly from this point on it does not matter to me what anyone thinks about what I say next: Star Trek, you may not be dead, but you did just have a stake rammed through your heart. R.I.P
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

June 24 2016
I'd heard somewhere (and have tried unsuccessfully to corroborate it), that Star Wars fan productions are limited to 5 minute segments, so I'm not at all surprised to read this latest set of guidelines. I think that the $50,000 crowdfunding cap is reasonable. Tommy Kraft, who produced Star Trek Horizon did the project on a Kickstarter of 26,000 if I'm not mistaken. Granted, he did all the work himself over a span of years, but he put out a really impressive fan production.

The 15 minute episode cap, however, and the ban on making a series of the fan production is disappointing. This essentially shuts down projects like Phase II / Star Trek Continues. I suppose you can be sneaky about it and break your 30 minute feature into two 15 minute segments, but I would much rather have seen something in the range of a 45 minute cap.

The other guidelines seem okay to me ... though the 'no professional actors' clause causes me concern. I think they're trying to keep former Star Trek actors from getting involved in the productions and I'm okay with that. The best fan films I've seen (Horizon/Continues) have told many stories without them. Of course Continues has used people who have acted before and who clearly have some background in theater, etc. I don't know that CBS would get that picky about things, but it's concerning that they might or that other productions could potentially cry foul if they did.

Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

June 24 2016
Quote by medgirl1025
http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-fan-film-guidelines-announced

CBS has officially nuked fan films. It is now revealed to us why CBS revoked the lawsuit. Had they lost in court this measure they have now taken would not have worked. This was a very sneaky move, only fitting of a backstabbing Romulan such as the Tal Shiar. May the survivors try to recollect like the after the destruction of Romulus and even Vulcan in that 'other' universe.

After reading CBS' fan guidelines dribble which is completely in their right [and I support that much because in the end it is their licensed work] the fact that CBS has gone and done this is why I now say that I've about lost my faith in Star Trek. From what I see: CBS cares about nothing more than the idea of lost revenue because of their own short comings. CBS does not believe in Gene's dream for us all, via the ideals displayed in Star Trek, as they are clearly not present in the one place that should be promoting them. Instead they chose to live in the hear and now by following the paths of greed, jealousy, and others.

It truly is a very sad day. I'll bet they feel so proud. I hope they lose more than they could ever imagine.

Frankly from this point on it does not matter to me what anyone thinks about what I say next: Star Trek, you may not be dead, but you did just have a stake rammed through your heart. R.I.P

I totally agree, and this is exactly why we will never see a gay captain of a starfleet vessel in official canon, it's too risky, berman has finally prevailed in his money grubbing approach, and trek is dying.

I.. am still not looking forward to Drek Beyond, it does not have enough left of the ideals Trek stood for, and what it seems like is a modern moviefied version of Voyager.

("Lost! Now the fearless hero must use resources found locally to get his crippled crew home in time for dinner! But wait! Could this new alien be evil?!?!?! His LARGE BLACK CLOUDY SHIP OF EVIL POINTYNESS certainly seem to be a threat!")
Adam Green

SanDiegoAdam

June 24 2016
As a long time Star Trek fan, I have mixed feelings about this whole situation. I have friends who have done Star Trek fan series but I just can't help feeling that Paramount's reaction is because here is a fan film that could be produced that is equal to, or in some people's opinion, better than what the studio has produced.

There is a long history of Trek fan films, series, etc., that have had minimal interaction with the copyright owners but also those fan films weren't also going to fund the creation of a professional studio which could have the potential to provide professional competition to an industry giant.

I love Star Trek. I will always love Star Trek and I am fighting to not let what is going on influence that love. It seems that the true Star Trek fans are ultimately be the ones that are penalized because the situation will influence the future of the Star Trek franchise.
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

July 03 2016
I know that there's been a lot of discussion in the fandom about the guidelines for Star Trek fan films that CBS and Paramount have recently released. It's been a polarizing issue in the community, with people taking up sides for and against Axanar, which ultimately appears to have been the catalyst for the lawsuit and the guidelines that followed.

With that said, there are still quality fan films being made and this one in particular, albeit short and simple, is an enjoyable watch and is in keeping with what I feel the true spirit of what fan productions were meant to be. Of interest, is that it appears to abide by a majority (not all) of the guidelines set out, and in my view, is a proof of concept, demonstrating that the guidelines don't necessarily spell doom and the end of quality productions from the fandom.

Give it a watch! Some not terrible eye candy that appears to bat for our team too:

2 people liked this
Zander Hawk

Zander_Hawk

Re:Star Trek beyond vs Axanar.

July 03 2016
Quote by Voleron
I know that there's been a lot of discussion in the fandom about the guidelines for Star Trek fan films that CBS and Paramount have recently released. It's been a polarizing issue in the community, with people taking up sides for and against Axanar, which ultimately appears to have been the catalyst for the lawsuit and the guidelines that followed.

With that said, there are still quality fan films being made and this one in particular, albeit short and simple, is an enjoyable watch and is in keeping with what I feel the true spirit of what fan productions were meant to be. Of interest, is that it appears to abide by a majority (not all) of the guidelines set out, and in my view, is a proof of concept, demonstrating that the guidelines don't necessarily spell doom and the end of quality productions from the fandom.

Give it a watch! Some not terrible eye candy that appears to bat for our team too:

Wow! That clip was amazing!
Adam Green

SanDiegoAdam

January 23 2017
Looks like CBS, Paramount and Axanar Productions have settled the lawsuit. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/cbs-paramount-settle-lawsuit-star-trek-fan-film-966433?platform=hootsuite

Some interesting reading in the article and I point out that the judge basically said what a lot of people were thinking...Axanar production was good enough to rival a production from CBS/Paramount, implying the ultimate reason for the lawsuit.

I still have questions in the back of my mind about the production but I am willing to wait and see the actual results of the film.
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

January 23 2017
Join our discussion on this over on our Facebook feed! @SanDiegoAdam

https://www.facebook.com/StonewallGamingNet/posts/10154928459489929