Microphone

Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

Microphone

November 30 2015
As of some you know, I don't have a microphone at the moment. My current pc doesn't have a plugin for a standard audio and pc plug (really Alienware? You sell gaming pc's and you don't add that to your console/pc hybrid...).
Almost everyone says to get a headset, but I've used one for two years or so now and I'm a bit tired of having something on my head for hours on end. Never have been a fan of wearing anything on my head either (caps, hats, even scarfs, never liked any of it).

So I'm asking for advice on what a good mic is. Of course it should cancel out gaming noises as much as possible. But what else is important?

I found this one earlier:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Micro-USB-Microphone-Black-Blue/dp/B00ZRD7J5O

I have also found this one, that I actually want, but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment:
http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Aegis-Gaming-Microphone-GM310/dp/B015OZ9C68

What are your thoughts?
Edited November 30 2015 by Lars_Zandor
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

Microphone

November 30 2015
Ooo, I definitely like the second one... I would suggest saving up for that one. Looks very bad ass, plus it has an easily accessible mute function, which I'm sure will come in handy, even if you're using push-to-talk.
Unknown Person liked this

Microphone

November 30 2015
If you buy a boom mic, everyone on TS will want to kill you.

My suggestion: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-headset-h600

Don't pay attention to the price on there. You can get it alot cheaper at other retailers. It's what I have an I love it quite a bit. They battery last a decently long and you can still use it while its charging. The sound quality is good. The nice thing about a USB headset is that you can set programs specifically to output to it. So while I have STO coming out my main speaker, I have TS and Skype go straight to the headset only. Makes it much easier to hear people over game noise.
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

Microphone

November 30 2015
Thank you for the suggestion, Nick. The problem with that headset is that it's something that I have to put on my head again. I just don't like that.

That second mic I linked actually has speaker suppression technology build in. I've looked at some reviews on youtube for it, and all of them speak quite positively of it. One guy said it even worked better than his usual mic since now he was able to have his fan on while using the mic. It's just a tad pricey.
Cal

calx

Microphone

December 01 2015
ooh can u craft that aegis?
Ben

Gravity

Microphone

December 01 2015
External mic you risk feedback always, no matter what tech is in there really. Honestly, there are so many comfortable headsets out there lars and they are usually alot cheaper also for the same quality of mic.
Sej @Ereiid

Ereiid

Microphone

December 01 2015
Compromise - instead of a desk mic, consider a lavalier.

Better, tighter sound (if you wear the mic correctly), but without the hair mess.

You could always just use a headset mic, and wear it around your neck, alternately...
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

Microphone

December 01 2015
If a head set is completely out of the question, I've found a USB powered microphone that will completely eliminate any chance of feedback from your desktop speakers. Will ship direct from Japan in record time.

[attachment=3352]usb-karaoke-mute-mic.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3353]Karaoke.jpg[/attachment]
3 people liked this
Edited December 01 2015 by Voleron
Cal

calx

Microphone

December 01 2015
i see rainbow! yay!

get get get, u will sound magical!
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

Microphone

December 01 2015
Quote by Gravity
External mic you risk feedback always, no matter what tech is in there really. Honestly, there are so many comfortable headsets out there lars and they are usually alot cheaper also for the same quality of mic.

Point is, wearing something on my head is just not comfortable for me. I've tried it for two years now and a lot of the time I just got annoyed by it one way or another. It's not just headsets I have this problem with, I also have it with hats for example. Glasses too. It took me easily three or four years before I was used enough to my glasses to wear them full time.

Ereiid, thanks for the hint. I had been looking at those in the past, but didn't know the proper term for them, so I had only encountered some that were like € 300,- or € 400,- or something like that. I was searching around some just now and saw some reasonably priced lavaliers. Not many of them were usb however (I can only use usb on this pc, which is why I can't use my old headset). It did however lead me to this:

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

Which costs quite a lot of money, but it has not only build-in microphones, but also every connection (is that the correct word?) I'm missing at the moment and most probably superior sound quality compared to what I have now. Which means that even if those microphones turn out to be shit, I can still plug my old headset into it and at least have something until I have saved up some money for a proper mic. Every review I have read/watched of it praise it quite high though, so I have good hopes.

Now, is there someone here who is rich and needs something done? *wink wink* :P

Unknown Person

Microphone

December 01 2015
Quote by Lars1091
It's not just headsets I have this problem with, I also have it with hats for example.

Hmm.. so I guess running for Pope is out of the question? :(

[attachment=3354]Pope-Francis-Hat.jpg[/attachment]
You so know he has a pizza hidden under that hat :laugh:
Edited December 01 2015 by Unknown Person