August 23 2015
Vote and discuss :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

"Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, & _____"

August 23 2015
Logically speaking, going with "Ally" would suggest that we are accepting of those whom are ally to the LGBT/GLBT community rather than "Straight Ally" could be perceived as only those that are straight can be allies.

Being transparent in what how we view ourselves is vitally and crucially important in the representation of who are.

Just my two cent.

Dax
Unknown Person liked this

Unknown Person

August 23 2015
If you're straight allied you're straight, but you're both supportive and non-discriminatory. You can't really be an ally if you're gay because you're already included in the first portion. Honestly, I'd be fine with either one as I feel they both have the same meaning in the end, with regards to the statement of course. My views!
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

August 23 2015
Quote by bullocaj
If you're straight allied you're straight, but you're both supportive and non-discriminatory. You can't really be an ally if you're gay because you're already included in the first portion. Honestly, I'd be fine with either one as I feel they both have the same meaning in the end, with regards to the statement of course. My views!

True, but i think Ally would be stronger than Straight Ally as perception is key to everything. If we want people to see us as a fleet that accepts due to "Sexual Orienation" as opposed to, you are a person whom is an ally of the GLBT/LGBT community which is totally different in how it can be represented.

Being different is great, but being unique is greater.
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

August 23 2015
In academic circles, we commonly say LGBTQ. The Women's Center on my current campus, which is also the LGBTQ center but they wont' relabel it, has a sign that says "GLBTQ", after which someone has penciled in an I. When I was at Indiana University about 15 years ago, student activists typically used the abbreviation LGBTQQPPIIAA.

The challenge is that, these days, we want to mean, in essence, "not straight" but without defining ourselves via the heteropatriarchy or in terms of negation. And that is going to be challenging. I would say that there are even heterosexual people who are queer--the poly and kink communities, for instances, both contain straight people and are certainly queer.

On which point, in academic circles, we commonly use the umbrella term of "queer", even more so than LGBTQ. But I've found that, in large, nonacademic circles, the word "queer" is considered hugely problematic for certain geographies and generations.

ETA: Sorry, didn't notice the poll.
2 people liked this
Edited August 23 2015 by SiranNataan
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

August 23 2015
I am gay. But I work hard to try to be an ally to lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and other queer people. I think it's important to recognize that "ally" is broad.
4 people liked this

Unknown Person

August 23 2015
Quote by SiranNataan
I am gay. But I work hard to try to be an ally to lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and other queer people. I think it's important to recognize that "ally" is broad.

Ahhhh, very well said. Thank you, Siran! I will reevaluate my earlier post! :)
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

August 23 2015
Quote by SiranNataan
In academic circles, we commonly say LGBTQ. The Women's Center on my current campus, which is also the LGBTQ center but they wont' relabel it, has a sign that says "GLBTQ", after which someone has penciled in an I. When I was at Indiana University about 15 years ago, student activists typically used the abbreviation LGBTQQPPIIAA.

The challenge is that, these days, we want to mean, in essence, "not straight" but without defining ourselves via the heteropatriarchy or in terms of negation. And that is going to be challenging. I would say that there are even heterosexual people who are queer--the poly and kink communities, for instances, both contain straight people and are certainly queer.

On which point, in academic circles, we commonly use the umbrella term of "queer", even more so than LGBTQ. But I've found that, in large, nonacademic circles, the word "queer" is considered hugely problematic for certain geographies and generations.

ETA: Sorry, didn't notice the poll.

This i completely understand and agreed with. Not everyone would feel inclusive if they were put under the label of "Queer" for individuals who are poly and kink communities.

Building relationship with everyone on commons ground of understanding without being inappropriate, misleading or exclusive of others is both challenging, difficult and sometimes cause more problems than necessary.

Thank you for pointing out this as well.
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

August 23 2015
I might be considered unusual for thinking that heterosexuals who are poly/kink can be classified as queer. So many different opinions on all of this, and rightfully so, because it's complicated.
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

August 23 2015
Quote by SiranNataan
I might be considered unusual for thinking that heterosexuals who are poly/kink can be classified as queer. So many different opinions on all of this, and rightfully so, because it's complicated.

Preaching to the choir there..
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

August 23 2015
Woops, just awake and misunderstood the poll and clicked straight ally before I properly understood what it was about. :S
I think just "ally" sounds better, because if you say "straight ally", you're basically saying only people who are straight can be allies. People who don't identify as any of the five might feel left out somehow. You may not mean it that way, but some people will perceive it that way.
Michael Sawyer

mykaels

August 26 2015
I chose ally because because being straight does not make you an enemy, just as being gay does not make you an ally. Also, more and more many people are refusing to identify as any particular one sexuality.

I am so firmly gay that not even free manolo blahnik's for the rest of my life could move me from 6 to 5 on the kinsey scale, but for many people, sexuality is not so cut and dry anymore.
Brandon Felczer

CapnBranFlakes

August 26 2015
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We're going to be updating instances of "Stonewall Fleet is a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, & Straight Ally fleet for STO" to remove "straight" as "ally" represents more than those who just identify as straight.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
4 people liked this
Edited August 26 2015 by CapnBranFlakes