World of Warships

Angel

Angelsilhouette

World of Warships

July 05 2015
http://worldofwarships.com/

Now in open beta. It's a bit like World of Tanks, but a bit more fun (for me, anyway). You've got a PvP and a co-op PvE mode. You set your speed, control your turrets and sponsons with your mouse cursor, steer with the AQED keys, zoom with the mouse wheel and fire with the left button. Easy as peas. :)

You can work yourself up to an aircraft carrier, whose controls are a bit more RTS than anything else, I've read. You start with an American and Japanese cruiser and work your way through several WWI/WWII style ships branching to destroyers, battleships, and Aircraft Carriers. I'm very happy that they have 2 of the ships that used to be based in my home town. :3

Come give it a try, it's like STO on the high seas! x3

2 people liked this
Lesley

LesleyA

World of Warships

July 05 2015
Been playing since the last days of CBT thanks to good old Humble Bundle, and have to say I hate PvP games. This one is so much fun though if you want a quick blast on the oceans, but my ships should be named after Red Shirts. Seems every time an enemy ship comes in range it always shoots at me instead of its original target.

Well worth a go no matter if you like PvP or PvE but be aware progress up the ship ladders will be much slower if you don't PvP.
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

World of Warships

July 05 2015
I see they're finally getting the lead out (I've been waiting on this to get out of Beta for 2 years) after Navy Field 2 was released.
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

World of Warships

July 06 2015
Having played a bit, I'm liking it more than NF2. :)
Angel

Angelsilhouette

World of Warships

July 07 2015
I never knew that humble had a deal to get into the CB. I'd have jumped on that. I'm especially jealous because people who played at least X number of games in CB got a free Arizona class battleship.

Having played through to the battleship, I must say that I am very VERY impressed. The graphics are really good (though I may turn them down a bit to take the fog out of the distance), really VERY good, the physics are awesome (Firing a salvo with the battleship displaces a heck of a lot of water, just like in real life), but I'm wondering about the viewing distance. They've gone into INCREDIBLE amounts of detail in nearly every aspect but two: One is that it doesn't seem that they've taken the curvature of the earth into account. The other is that the guns on the South Carolina could shoot about 18km (and up to 25km on WWII battleships) in real life, but the game restricts me to about 10km. I'm guessing that's for fairness' sake, though.

The game isn't for everyone, though; my friend gets really frustrated with it. It's worth it to give it a try, though, I promise.

You start with both an Erie class American cruiser and a Hashidate Japanese cruiser. They play very similarly, but may fool you into thinking that the rest of the two nations ships do, as well.

Initially I chose America while my friend chose Japan. The American Tier 2 and 3, though, are quite different from the Japanese Tier 2 and 3.
The American 2/3 ships are a bit slower, but the guns load much faster. The Japanese ships are noticeably faster, but the tier 2's guns load much much more slowly. Fortunately, when you upgrade your hull, you are given a total of 4 extra guns to the 2 extra guns the American tier 2 is given. I earned the tier 2 Japanese ship because my friend was getting frustrated and I wanted to understand why, oh boy did I find out. The guns on that tier 2 Japanese ship load so slowly that it made getting hits and therefor xp very tedious. Once he got to Tier 3, though, that changed.

The Tier 3 American ship is a St. Louis class; to use a crude comparison, it is like an old wooden war ship. A bit sluggish, but she has an 8 gun broadside and the guns reload SO FAST. I love her to death.

The Japanese Tier 3 name escapes me at the moment. It may be Tenryu, but I think that's the tier 2. She gets 4 single gun turrets for half of the broadside but she has two triple torpedo launchers on pinions so they can fire to either side. The guns load much faster than the Tier 2, and my friend says that at half ahead, she goes as fast as the tier 2 at full ahead. That said, he still seems to have more problems getting XP with her. The torpedoes have long range, but they're slow, so hard to hit people far away; though he's sunk a battleship at close range with a full broadside.

Like me, he is also going the battleship route, and I'll be extremely jealous if we reach tier 10, because he'll be sailing a Yamato class while I'll be in a Montana.

I say I'm going the battleship route... Now that I've bought my first battleship, I'm not so sure. I've got an 8 gun broadside, still, but they fire in pairs and it takes a full 30 seconds to reload each turret. On top of that it moves like a pregnant cow with short legs, so the many and near constant atoll maps are ridiculous when trying to line up shots.

All ships get a repair ability to put out fires and repair damaged turrets, screws, and rudders, but the battleships get a heal ability to go with it. Both have a 2 minute cool down and the heal ability has 3 charges.

If you go the battleship route (or the Japanese tier 2 route) don't fire full salvos until you get your eye in. Test fire from a single turret to make sure that you're leading the enemy ship enough; once you get your eye in, you can let them have it.

There is also an auto pilot mode, handy for my battleship since it takes me forever to get places and I've got half a minute load time. You bring up the map, click a destination and shift-click to add waypoints. The game will take care of the rudder, you just control the speed. Putting your screws to reverse or attempting to steer will break the autopilot, though.

Lots of people drive with their binoculars on, so there are occasional collisions and groundings. Keep one eye on your minimap and one on your target.

Approaching torpedoes don't always come with a warning. If you're vigilant, you'll see the little (very little) red torpedo indicator on your hud, showing you the direction from which they are approaching. If you're not, you'll get a pinging sound to let you know that you're about to die. Generally if you hear the pinging, manoeuvring to avoid them will be quite difficult.

XP is gained by hits, sinking doesn't seem to get you a very big bonus, just a notch on your belt. The most XP I tend to receive are from citadel hits, or hits to the command superstructure or conning tower. Very rarely I'll punch through into a powder magazine and blow a ship with a single salvo, most of the time you'll be pounding on the other ship for a while before it goes down if you don't have torpedoes, even if you're in a battleship.

Leveling can be slow, but once you hit lv 4 you'll get 3k free xp to research your ship, hitting lv 5 will net you 750k money to buy your next ship.

That's all I can think of to share, right now. :p

=edit=

Ah yes. Aircraft carriers. You can work laterally along the tree to unlock them at Tier 3. From what I've read it seems that they play a bit like an RTS. You go into map mode, launch your planes and send them out via waypoints to look for targets. You've got torpedo bombers, dive bombers, and fighters. So far I'm always glad to see a fighter wing in the air above me so I won't have to worry about torpedo bombers. You'll want your torpedo bombers to approach ships perpendicular to the direction of its movement, but you want dive bombers to attack along the length of the ship.

Destroyers.

I haven't played with these yet. They are small, quite fast, very nimble, and always equipped with torpedoes. They have guns, but it doesn't seem to be their focus.
Edited July 07 2015 by Angelsilhouette
Cal

calx

World of Warships

July 08 2015
screw the grinding, goodbye iconians, i'm gonna be sailing the ocean breeze! :woohoo:
David

Keioel

World of Warships

July 08 2015
Oh better then NF2? Interesting
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

World of Warships

July 08 2015
Quote by Keioel
Oh better then NF2? Interesting

It's different. "Better" is of course based on perspective. But I like it more than NF2 thus far.
Michael Sawyer

mykaels

World of Warships

July 08 2015
Oh my god. I. Hate. You. I cannot stop playing this game!
Angel

Angelsilhouette

World of Warships

July 09 2015
Quote by mykaels
Oh my god. I. Hate. You. I cannot stop playing this game!

You're welcome. ;)
Seannewboy

Seannewboy

World of Warships

August 12 2015
Now im hooked, at least until new sto stuff comes.
Sam

SamRonin

World of Warships

August 14 2015
I also got the Humble E3 Bundle so have been tinkering since Closed Beta. I have both NA and EU logins as they are seperate.

On the NA side I am rocking a Cleveland and slowly grinding up. Trying to resist the urge to buy an Atlanta.

On the EU I am still in a St Louis. But both of these ships are great fun.

Between WoWs and Ark Survival Evolved I have had little time for STO. Also started dabbling in War Thunder so I am probably doomed socially. lol.
Michael Sawyer

mykaels

World of Warships

August 14 2015
I am definitely a cruiser guy (do with that what you will) and the St. Louis rocks! A hailstorm of shells! A hailstorm I tell you!!!!
2 people liked this
Sam

SamRonin

World of Warships

August 14 2015
Same with me. They just are so fun. St Louis and the Cleveland are very fun.

I went and bought the Atlanta for my NA side. But seem to be losing money with it so far. I need to play a lot better with it or I lose 10k per game.

I guess I enjoy being able to shoot more often than the big boys and although some will cry out for quality over quantity, I like the ability to make smother others with my shots over the big blasts but long reloads on the bigger weapons. ;)
Unknown Person liked this
Michael Sawyer

mykaels

World of Warships

August 15 2015
I prefer cruisers for the anti aircraft guns. Them carriers will rip you @#$ to mouth.
Angel

Angelsilhouette

World of Warships

August 15 2015
I upgraded from the St. Louis to the Phoenix and it just felt like a huge step down. I cross trained to battleships and was a bit bored waiting for my guns to load.
Lesley

LesleyA

World of Warships

August 16 2015
I did love the St. Louis and all those guns and am struggling with the Phoenix as well. It just seems so disarmed it is plain weird.

Hopping over the Battleship line though my Wyoming is not so shabby so long as you dont fire all the guns at once, i sort of got used to it with the Arkansas so wasn't a big change. I tend to try and pick fire as I move and not try to fire all guns in one go, this way I can easily keep swapping between HE and AP without the long wait times.

Be interesting to see what they have in the German line but I still want to be patriotic and go Royal Navy :P
Seannewboy

Seannewboy

World of Warships

August 16 2015
The problem most people have with the battleships is not getting in to medium range to use the sencondaries. Not to mention that with its damage control parties it last a really long time.
Sam

SamRonin

World of Warships

August 16 2015
Yeah the Phoenix is a very different beast to the St Louis. However you are far faster and agile. Make use of those skills and drive her like a Destroyer. Use the range of your guns and hunt Destroyers. Or use islands to sneak in close and unleash the Torps.

The Omaha is a Phoenix +1. It is useful as it has a fighter you can launch as well. But is a similar beast. Fast but fragile and need to make the shots count a lot more. BUt the guns are bigger than the St Louis so you may not fire as often, but they do more damage when they do hit.

I admittedly paid to use Xp and jumped ahead to the Cleveland. Kinda regret doing that on the NA side. The Cleveland is still not all that tough, but has a RoF only surpassed by the Atlanta.