[Spoilers] Sense8

Unknown Person

[Spoilers] Sense8

June 07 2015
Sense8, a new TV Show by the Wachowskis, arrived on Netflix on Friday night. I watched two episodes on Friday and then smashed my way through the other ten yesterday.

It follows eight people, across the world, whos minds are all linked together.

Two of the main eight characters are LGBT and we see some of the trials of being transgender and also of being a closeted homosexual. It's no surprise since Lana Wochowski went through this herself but there's a heavy focus, especially in the early episodes, on the transgender female lead.

There may be triggers for some but I think it's worth a watch just for the LGBT content.

That said I loved the show, despite the few flaws I feel it has. I think it started slow but by the end of the 12 episode I was hooked and through-out the series there was moments of brilliance.

I should say that it's an adult show and there is quite a bit of nudity (including wangs and hoohoos) and a very intense sex scene.

Has anybody else gave it a watch yet? If so I've love to hear what you thought of it.
Edited June 07 2015 by Unknown Person
Pnutt Buttah

pnuttbuttah

[Spoilers] Sense8

June 10 2015
I got hooked on Sense8 and ended up binge-watching the entire season this weekend. I'd describe it as Cloud Atlas meets Lost/Fringe... not quite as good as any of those, but still high praise. I enjoyed Sense8 more and more as I got further along and am looking forward to season 2.

The Good: Intriguing, original premise; fantastic original score; diverse, interesting characters with location shooting in 9 different home cities around the globe; strong ensemble cast and maybe even better supporting cast; and compelling storytelling with the ability to seamlessly integrate lighter moments into otherwise intense, serious sequences.

The Bad: Stories like this rely just as much on compelling villains as they do on the heroes, but the villains (so far) in the overarching story aren't handled well and too much is revealed too early. The two female characters with the most screen time never evolve much past the damsel-in-distress cliche. The transgender character is easily the least charismatic and interesting of the bunch, but does begin to show some personality late in the season. Some of the individual character stories progress to more or less of a resolution; I wish they'd just left them all at a cliffhanger to be resolved next season. Naveen Andrews' talents are a bit wasted and Daryl Hannah's are entirely wasted.

The Ugly: The gratuitous sex and disturbing graphic images. I generally appreciate gratuitous sex, but most of it here was so poorly executed or done in such poor taste that it was anything but sexy. Even worse were the disturbing graphic images which, once seen, cannot be unseen.

[Spoilers] Sense8

June 13 2015
I didn't quite binge watch the show, but I've managed to work my way through it in a week. I, frankly, loved it. It's an amazing show with an interesting spin. It's not quite original as it is a bit derivative of many mutation stories and there ability to see or take over each other's bodies is very reminiscent of Professor X. None the less, the show is very good. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and not just the sci-fi elements which is unusual to me. Nomi has to be my favorite character. In the second episode, when she spoke about marching in the Pride Parade filled me with pride.

Unusually, I don't care much for sex and violence, but I didn't mind it much here. The big group orgy scene made me a bit nervous, but mainly cause I was watching it on the treadmill at the gym and I was afraid what people might think I was watching if they saw. I usually hate the stupid spy movies where the spy kills hundreds of bad guys without anyone landing a single blow on him, but with the scene with Lito doing it, I was able to just enjoy it for what it was cause it wasn't mean to be real. The rest of the combat I actually enjoyed. You never knew if or when someone else would swoop in to help out the current protagonist and the differences in fighting styles keeps things interesting. Although, in the last episode with Wolfgang, I had to look away.

While I don't appreciate that, I do think its telling of the medium. None of the major TV channels in the US would air something like that (at least here in the US). This being on Netflix instead gives them much more latitude. It's very rare to see a baby crowning like in this show and it's interesting to see a somewhat realistic childbirth.

Anywho, I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for Season 2!
Shawn Birch

Parker

[Spoilers] Sense8

June 13 2015
When I saw it come up on the Netflix banner I read about it added it to my list but haven't gone any further than that yet. I will get to it I am sure. Hearing you all talk about it as piqued my interest a bit more.
Jay Eudy

Six-of-Nine

[Spoilers] Sense8

June 13 2015
I loved this show! I found it to be about the queerest show I've seen in a long while. The big group sex scene really made me glad I was watching alone with privacy, the birthing scene was beyond beautiful.

I feel a lot of connection with the characters of Nomi and the Icelandic girl whose name I am forgetting.
Pnutt Buttah

pnuttbuttah

[Spoilers] Sense8

August 08 2015
Sense8 season 2 "coming soon." Couldn't figure out how to embed the Twitter video, but here's a link:

http://t.co/tmMV66gKhm
Unknown Person liked this

Unknown Person

[Spoilers] Sense8

August 08 2015
Quote by pnuttbuttah
Sense8 season 2 "coming soon." Couldn't figure out how to embed the Twitter video, but here's a link:

http://t.co/tmMV66gKhm

Haha .. I was thinking "Why are they singing happy birthday? It can't have been a year since season one." ... I'm such an idiot.

But yay season two! Can't wait.
Edited August 08 2015 by Unknown Person