Free Upgrade to Windows 10

August 07 2015
Quote by GXV3
I'm reverting back to Windows 8.1 !

To many bugs for me atm.. The sound comes on and off when it chooses, drivers incompatible, Ill wait until they have ironed it out a little more.

I have a year to choose to upgrade it again, .. at least I think :P

For the sound issue, you might want to check this setting. Right click the speacker icon in the System Tray, click Sounds, then go to the Communication tab. Set it to Do nothing.

This was a horribly annoying issues for me in Win 8.1 and the setting reset when I upgraded to 10. Basically, it lowers your computer volume whenever you plug in headphones. Nice idea, horrible implementation.
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

August 07 2015
Quote by NicholasJohn16

For the sound issue, you might want to check this setting. Right click the speacker icon in the System Tray, click Sounds, then go to the Communication tab. Set it to Do nothing.

This was a horribly annoying issues for me in Win 8.1 and the setting reset when I upgraded to 10. Basically, it lowers your computer volume whenever you plug in headphones. Nice idea, horrible implementation.

Ohh cool tip, thanks... it just kept switching to my Virtual line 1, instead of my main sound device.. it did it whenever it wanted.. despite me disabling it.
I use a HDMI monitor and that output went missing a few times, I had to plug it in and out again in order for it to be detected.

As my other previous post stated, i couldnt put it to sleep without it not starting properly when switched back on... the fan sometimes made a crazy sound, like a loud clicking, i thought it was going to explode.

couldnt update my headphone/mic drivers.

lots going on :( I really liked it.. but ill give it some time.
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

August 07 2015
I may have borked my machine. Although I loved the better response times from programs, having my external hard drive and choice of firewalls won out on the priority list. I attempted to rollback to the previous version last night. It went through the motions of rolling back...

After about 20 reboots and "Restoring your previous version..." I fear that I'm S.O.L. I went so far as to unplug it for about 5 minutes and try again. It seems to be in an endless loop that I can't change. I've even researched trying to find any kind of solutions.

So the bad news is that I'll most likely be out of the game for a while. The good news that I have justification on spending money for a new rig.
Unknown Person liked this
Edited August 07 2015 by kiddkasper
Jamie

tuvak

August 08 2015
that sucks! my current rig is 4 years old but has held up well with only a few upgrades. i'm holding out until next year to start looking for a possible replacement. i have always used AMD...but their new APU's just aren't powerful enough for me and their FX lines are aging. i might finally convert to intel. *gasps*.
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

August 09 2015
I tried AMD once. It took a week to stop feeling "dirty". :P

Anyyyyway, the rollback to Windows 7 apparently succeeded and the rollback program just got hung up. I created a Windows 10 boot USB stick and tried all of the recovery/reset options but everything errored out. I then tried the option to load another OS and selected Windows 10. Low and behold, Windows 7 booted up. I've rebooted several times and poked around to make sure everything is stable.
Unknown Person liked this
Angel

Angelsilhouette

August 10 2015
W10 is not the most privacy friendly OS, here are some tips to help protect yourself:

http://imgur.com/account/favorites/I8u2G
Michael Sawyer

mykaels

August 14 2015
They will remove my Windows & Ultimate from my cold, dead, overly bejeweled-with-rings hand...
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

November 13 2015
Do you think Windows 10 is stable enough for me to upgrade again?
(having upgraded when it first came out, it didnt like being in my pc, i switched back)

I had so many graphic and inside issues I switched back.
Hopefully they have upgrades/patches in place for all the third party drivers etc.
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

November 13 2015
I have Windows 10 for about 2 months now. It's reasonably stable for me. Never really had the graphic issues you were talking about, but it did took a couple of weeks before my drivers could be updated.

Overall I like Windows 10, more than 8 anyway.
Just don't use Edge, because that sucks. It's basically just Internet Explorer with a different name and you're not able to use plugins in Edge (really, which stupid Pineapple at Microsoft thought that was a good idea?). Other browsers work just fine though.
Edited November 14 2015 by GXV3
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

November 22 2015
If you get windows 10 pro,it is great, but the home version may be a bit buggy.