Is The LGBTQ Social Scene Divided By Race And Gender?

Romario

Romario

January 28 2015
There may be areas where that isn't the case, but you can probably count those on one hand, sadly.

Unknown Person liked this
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

January 28 2015
on the whole, yes, it is.

however, it's not always a thing, I think it has to do more with the racism and sexism we encourage in schools still, kids group together by race and sex in school, then they start ridiculing those "not of their cloth" and we get bullying.
Edited December 07 2015 by LoonShy
Romario

Romario

January 28 2015
Quote by Tlek
on the whole, yes, it is.

however, I am currently dating a guy that is of mixed ancestry, and looks exotic, but is definitely not a white guy, meanwhile, you see what I am in my avatar pic here, so, it's not always a thing, I think it has to do more with the racicm and sexism we encourage in schools still, kids group together by race and sex in school, then they start ridiculing those "not of their cloth" and we get bullying.

Prejudice and misconceptions we sadly carry with us into adulthood. I'm of mixed ancestry myself, my father being black/Samoan and my mother being ginger german. I can 'pass', and that has given me great insight as to how white people, or even other people of color think when they believe to be among themselves.

Though I have to say here in Germany the social scene is more integrated. When I used to go out on the weekends, you literally saw a smorgesbord of peoples all dancing , drinking, and enjoying the hedonism of it all. Usually there are specific party events where you know what you're getting as it's being advertised beforehand. But they aren't exclusive. I've had some of my best memories at lesbian events, and haven't at all encountered this 'I hate gay men' phenomenon. Though I have witnessed more than enough gay misogyny/ignorance towards lesbians.
Trahelion

Trahelion

January 30 2015
Humans always make odd little clubs and cliques to give them some misguided sense of being better than someone else. Sadly I think we're a few hundreds off from it fading more into being passé.

Much love,

Avyn Trahelion
Displaced Sidhe
Honorary Lesbian third class
Stephanie Vega

stephanievega

February 19 2015
I would say yes. I may not look it in my profile pic (I've got Goth face on) but I'm Latina/Brown. I've had trouble when I'm the only WoC in a support group, either a general one or a specifically trans one. Also, when I was attending Grad School in Detroit, you could literally see the divide between the white students and AA students in the campus support group.

Part of it however is that ethnic minorities have our own particular stressors unique to our communities. For example, several of my students were gay AA men and preferred to remain on the down low. There would be arguments about how they are hiding in the closet but the AA community has its own social norms that make that very difficult to do without losing one's entire family.

Another example would be the Latin side of my family's response to my transition. They will accept me as a woman, use my preferred pronouns et alia but Gods forbid I have surgery. That would be 'mutilating' myself and a disgrace.

Sorry for rambling ^_^
Romario

Romario

February 19 2015
Quote by stephanievega
I would say yes. I may not look it in my profile pic (I've got Goth face on) but I'm Latina/Brown. I've had trouble when I'm the only WoC in a support group, either a general one or a specifically trans one. Also, when I was attending Grad School in Detroit, you could literally see the divide between the white students and AA students in the campus support group.

Part of it however is that ethnic minorities have our own particular stressors unique to our communities. For example, several of my students were gay AA men and preferred to remain on the down low. There would be arguments about how they are hiding in the closet but the AA community has its own social norms that make that very difficult to do without losing one's entire family.

Another example would be the Latin side of my family's response to my transition. They will accept me as a woman, use my preferred pronouns et alia but Gods forbid I have surgery. That would be 'mutilating' myself and a disgrace.

Sorry for rambling ^_^

You don't have to worry about rambling hun :kiss: I think dialogue is important. Too often people feel otherwise, and alot of clarification goes by the wayside. As people of color, the view on this topic is unique in that we are the ones with the colored skin. So when I hear people, for instance, say that skin color doesn't matter, they fail to realize that to people that have that ethnic background, or that darker skin, it does. Our skin color represents much more than skintone.

Frozenlily

February 19 2015
When I was growing up in school all 7 gay guys in my school were white, skinny, shallow people. I hated for being the 2nd skinniest and being 1/4 Maet and I they never dated me or wanted to ever talk to me... :D lol

We had about 15 girls who were gay in our school. One is African American and dated one of my good red heads we call Brave ;D and the rest are white with one as 1/2 Navite American and 1/2 jewish.

These two girls are the only african americans and native americans in my school. I only got along with the native american one because we knew eachother since grade 5. From my perspective everyone in my city treats them equal. But when I moved out to the hill billy region of no mans land... there is older Native American LGBT that are treated sooooo poorly. I'm just like her for living in an all white place. I am very thankful my Great Grandparents are native American and I wish I could've met them to learn more. I also wish I could've grown up with different cultures than what I did grow up with. Maybe the growing up experiance would've been different for myself, and the two girls.
4 people liked this
Romario

Romario

February 19 2015
Quote by Frozenlily
When I was growing up in school all 7 gay guys in my school were white, skinny, shallow people. I hated for being the 2nd skinniest and being 1/4 Maet and I they never dated me or wanted to ever talk to me... :D lol

We had about 15 girls who were gay in our school. One is African American and dated one of my good red heads we call Brave ;D and the rest are white with one as 1/2 Navite American and 1/2 jewish.

These two girls are the only african americans and native americans in my school. I only got along with the native american one because we knew eachother since grade 5. From my perspective everyone in my city treats them equal. But when I moved out to the hill billy region of no mans land... there is older Native American LGBT that are treated sooooo poorly. I'm just like her for living in an all white place. I am very thankful my Great Grandparents are native American and I wish I could've met them to learn more. I also wish I could've grown up with different cultures than what I did grow up with. Maybe the growing up experiance would've been different for myself, and the two girls.

I think it was my saving grace growing up in the military, because I was constantly confronted with people, cultures, and ideas that were different to me. The only thing that really went under was my knowing I was gay, but having absolutely no avenue or maturity to fully explore that growing up, it formed the opinion that it was to be kept secret. It was when my father got out of the army that I first explored my homosexuality and also the first time I saw how divided the world really is, especially within the community. Sex was one thing, but it seemed somewhat a fetish to bang some white boy, or vice versa. Rarely did anything develop into a social thing. Though I find that has changed alot, alot also hasn't changed at all. And in light of all of our progress, it is easy to forget to go those two blocks beyond our 'neighborhood' to see how the folks across town are doing, if you know what I mean.
2 people liked this

March 14 2015
I've unfortunately seen the separation between the genders firsthand. It's one of the sad facts of the glbt community that we have opposite interests when it comes to attraction and that can often leave us separated. That's why we've pushed hard to keep that kind of content out of Stonewall and to make sure it's a welcoming place for all genders.

In Queer History this is very evident. After the Stonewall Riots, cooperation between gays and lesbians began to break down. Many male leaders were very sexist and pushed lesbians out of the leadership. We didn't really come back together till the AIDS Crisis.
David

Keioel

April 01 2015
In San Diego and Los Angeles you'd better believe it. In Orange County ironically I've very rarely run into it as the scenes are pretty mixed.
Sej @Ereiid

Ereiid

April 01 2015
I've always liked to think of Orange County as the Connecticut of the West - where the whites keep down the other whites.
David

Keioel

April 02 2015
LOL South County might be like that, I'm in North County so it's a completely different world then South County.

Quote by Ereiid
I've always liked to think of Orange County as the Connecticut of the West - where the whites keep down the other whites.
Tia

Princess-Hope

July 14 2015
I don't feel welcome in LGB spaces... well, at all... quite often. Particularly spaces whose leadership is made up entirely of gay men.

There's a habit among the queer community and advocacy groups to treat LGBT as being more LGbt - to focus both attention and effort on gay men first, then on lesbians, then occasionally remember that bisexual/pansexual/panromantic people exist, then, if there is time left over and doing so will cost the other groups precisely nothing, mention that maybe someone should remember the trans folks.

A few years ago when HRC was willing to push the trans-exclusive equality bill? Yeah, something in my heart still hasn't forgiven that, regardless of how hard I've tried. I certainly haven't forgotten it.