Stonewall Recipe Exchange Thread

John D.

Furlong

Stonewall Recipe Exchange Thread

August 01 2011
So, based on a conversation I had with Sarge on vent, I thought this would be a good place for the culinary gifted fleeties to share some recipes amongst one another. To begin...

Chicken Stir-Fry

Boneless Skinless Chicken Brest cut into small bits (about 1 to 1.5 inches or so)
Canned Tomatoes
Diced Onion
Minced Garlic
Choice Spices (I recommend Cajun, but do what you want)

Cook in a large pan and serve over a bed of white rice
3 people liked this
Doug Goodwin

doogiegood

Re: Stonewall Recipe Exchange Thread

August 01 2011
Great idea and it will key into an upcoming event that I am planning. Deals to come soon. :)
Lesley

LesleyA

August 01 2011
Hunters chicken

Based on the dish served in decent pubs

1 chicken breat per person
1 nice sauce ( I use a Szechaun sauce since I like spice)
2 rashes of bacon per chicken breast
grated mature cheddar (I like strong flavours)

Place bacon over chicken and cook in oven for approx 25-30 mins on a nice high heat. Cover in your sauce and sprinkle grated cheese over the top.

Return to oven and continue cooking for another 10-15 mins until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Served best with boiled potatoes and vege's.
Unknown Person liked this
Bradley Barbour

bradley1701

August 01 2011
And to point out to Fleeties as well, I write a couple recipes a month which appear in the Stonewall Times, called Nechayev's Canape Corner...based of course on the theme of Admiral Alynna Nechayev loving Bilarian Canapes.
Doug Goodwin

doogiegood

August 02 2011
Here is one that ROCKS! I think Bradley will agree. :laugh:

Romulan Ale

2 cups Blue Curacao
1 cup Rum
1/2 cup Everclear or Vodka
8oz Viso Will or Cranberry Lemonade

Serve over ice and add tabasco to taste
Bradley Barbour

bradley1701

August 02 2011
That Romulan Ale recipe is amazing...from the Space Bar at the Hilton in Las Vegas...Doogie and I had too many last year and no one tried to stop us! *looks at Mark*

Unknown Person

August 02 2011
Quote by bradley1701
That Romulan Ale recipe is amazing...from the Space Bar at the Hilton in Las Vegas...Doogie and I had too many last year and no one tried to stop us! *looks at Mark*

Oh those were soooo good. I had a couple last year too and they let me take them up to the pool. I don't remember much after that :ohmy:

Unknown Person

August 02 2011
Almost forgot here's my Recipe for Blue Cheese Guacamole:

2 Large Ripe Avocados

1 cup crumbled Roquefort Blue Cheese

1/4 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions

1/4 cup jarred sliced pickled green jalapenos (or mini gherkins if you don't like spicy)

1/4 teaspoon paprika or cayenne pepper

Just mash it all up in a chilled bowl and serve with chips or "crisps" as our British brethren say lol
Andrew Isaacs-Smith

Khyfa

August 02 2011
Oh, I've got some good recipies...But I need to write them up since they're a bit over the top (My dad was a professional chef so I don't cook simple food...haha!)
Joshua (Zepari)

Zepari

August 02 2011
I think this recipe idea is great, here is the recipe for the traditional Irish potato dish called "Champ" with my own unique twist. Enjoy!

Ingredients
Serves: 4

1kg (2 1/4 lb) potatoes, peeled and halved
250ml (8 fl oz) milk
1 bunch spring onions (called scallions in Ireland), thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
50g (2 oz) butter
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 bottle of vodka or other spirit
1 bottle of coke
1 straw
1 cocktail umbrella

Preparation method
Prep:15 mins | Cook:25 mins

1. Place potatoes into large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.

2. Drain well. Return to very low heat and allow the potatoes to dry out for a few minutes. (It helps if you place a clean tea towel over the potatoes to absorb any remaining moisture.)

3. Meanwhile, heat the milk and spring onions gently in a saucepan until warm.

4. Mash the potatoes, salt and butter together until smooth. Stir in the milk and spring onion until evenly mixed. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve piping hot in bowls. Set out some extra butter for individuals to add to their servings.

5. Pour a large measure of Vodka in to a glass, add coke, umbrella and straw. Drink and repeat until you forget to eat the champ. Remember to have a pizza menu handy for later.

6. As you have gotten drunk instead of eating, you can fry the cold champ the next morning in a pan with some eggs as a hangover cure.
5 people liked this
Jamie

tuvak

August 03 2011
This recipe sounds strangely familiar. LOL.
Andrew Isaacs-Smith

Khyfa

August 03 2011
thats because its called drunken mashed potatoes...
Doug Goodwin

doogiegood

September 04 2011
Made this last night. It was pretty good, but need to thicken up the gravy more next time. I follow this recipe blog. She puts thme out every so often.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/swedish-meatballs.html

Swedish Meatballs
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 5 meatballs • Old Points: 4 pt • Points+: 5 pt
Calories: 213.5 • Fat: 10 g • Protein: 25.1 g • Carb: 8.5 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium without adding salt: 346 mg

1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
1/4 cup minced parsley
1 lb 93% lean beef
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp allspice
2 cups reduced sodium beef stock
2 oz light cream cheese

In a large deep saute pan, heat oil on medium heat, add onions and garlic; sauté until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add celery and parsley and cook until soft, about 3-4 more minutes. Let cool a few minutes.
In a large bowl combine beef, egg, onion mixture, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and allspice. Mix well and form meatballs with your hands 1/8 cup each (fill 1/4 cup then divide the meat in half).

Add beef stock to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly drop meatballs into the broth. Cover and cook about 20 minutes. Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon and set aside in a serving dish. Strain the stock, add to blender with cream cheese and pulse until smooth. Return to pan and simmer a few minutes to thicken, then pour over meatballs. Garnish with parsley and serve over noodles or with toothpicks if you want to set these out as an appetizer.

This makes 22 meatballs, nutritional info is based on 5 meatballs with gravy.

Unknown Person

September 06 2011
Ok so here's my first post for the low fat recipe challenge for the Stonewall Biggest Loser:

Polenta Dollar Pancakes

4 slices store bought polenta (about half an inch thick)

1 tbsp peanut oil (more low fat than olive oil)

4 dollops low fat cottage cheese

1 tsp Bacon Salt (no actual bacon in it and much lower sodium than salt)

Heat pour oil into skillet and while it's heating up brush each polenta medallion in the oil on each side so that they're evenly coated. Fry on medium heat and turn each medallion once side is nicely golden, about 10 minutes a side (it cooks very slowly). place polenta medallions on a paper towel lined plate and pat excess oil. Place polenta medallions on a plate and add a generous spoonful of cottage cheese atop each one. Then sprinkle on a pinch of bacon salt.
Steve Kirk

Arunsen

December 24 2011
I call this: The Captain's Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
2 tbsp corn or vegetable oil
1C Onion, diced

1C Carrots, diced
1C Celery
1 Clove Garlic, diced
2 Jalapenos, diced
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

16oz (4 cans) chicken broth
16oz (1 can) Rotel tomatoes, diced
1 packet, taco seasoning (McCormicks)
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

2-3 chicken breasts

Lime Juice
1C fresh cilantro
Corn Tortillas (cut into small pieces)
12oz cheese (monterey jack, or Mexican blend), shredded

Directions
In a large saucepan heat the oil.
Add onions & cook for 2 mins
Add celery & carrots, garlic & jalapenos, cook for 1 more min
Pour in broth, tomatoes, taco seasoning, salt, pepper & bring to a boil
Once boiling, lower heat to simmer & add chicken to cook it
Cook for 20-25 mins
When chicken is done, remove it & slice/shred it as you desire
Add lime juice & cilantro to the pot

Serve by placing chicken in bowl, then cover with soup, top with tortilla strips and cheese
Angel

Angelsilhouette

December 24 2011
It's a shame I never measure when I'm cooking. I love making desserts and would love to share my recipes, but I just go by taste instead of measurements. >.
Eric

Sylvenger

December 29 2011
Everybody raves over my Artichoke Dip, I am shunned if I go to a party without bringing it. It really wasn't my recipe to begin with, the only thing I changed was the addition of garlic, which makes all the difference! It's super easy to make.

Ingredients:

1 8oz can of quartered artichoke hearts in water (do NOT get the marinated ones!)
Approx 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese (can't go wrong with more)
Approx 1 cup of mayonnaise
3 to 4 garlic cloves
Paprika
Parsley Flakes
Cracker of choice (It's awesome with plain old Ritz crackers)

Directions:

Drain the water from the can of artichoke hearts and dump them out on a cutting board. Chop each quarter up into finer pieces, then put in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Add the grated parmesan cheese then peel the garlic cloves and put them through a garlic press and add to the mixture.
Then spoon in enough mayonnaise to hold everything together stirring it well.
Spoon the mixture into a shallow baking dish, spreading it evenly (I use a 9x2 square pan).
Sprinkle the top with Paprika and Parsley Flakes to add color (It's unappealingly white if you skip this, but this isn't a crucial step).
Bake at 350 for about 20 to 30 minutes, when it's bubbling you'll know it is ready.
Server with crackers while it's hot.

All ingredients can be doubled for a larger group. Just make sure your baking dish is big enough.

I emphasized not using marinated artichokes because my brother-in-law's sister asked me for the recipe, but she made it with marinated artichokes and she said it was awful. I can only imagine. :pinch:
William

Siafu

August 26 2012
Siafu's Upside-Down Apple Cake

Ingredients

• 1 Box of (single-layer) Jiffy - Yellow Cake mix preferred or any other brand will do.
• 1 Butter stick
• 1 cup Sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
• 4 large baking Apples, cored and peeled and then cut into small chunks the size of a small marble. (Do not slice the apples as the cake mix needs to flow through them to reach the bottom of the pan.)
• 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract (added as a extra ingredient into the cake mix.)

Directions

1. Heat oven to the temperature required on the cake-mix box. Spray a 9x9 inch single-layer baking pan with nonstick spray - Pyrex preferred. Spread apple chunks evenly on bottom of pan.
2. Cut from butter stick, 6-8 thin slices of butter and place here and there over the apple mix. Sprinkle cinnamon evenly over apples then do the same with the sugar.
3. In a large bowl, mix yellow cake (per instructions) add the vanilla extract. Tip: do not beat batter until smooth. Beat or stir batter until it looks coarse or ever-so slightly lumpy.
4. Pour the batter over apple mixture evenly. Lift and drop pan on counter softly a couple of times to help promote the cake-mix reaching the bottom of the pan.
5. Bake as per instructions on the cake-mix box. At the end of baking time...insert a butter-knife into the center of the cake until it comes out clean. The cake should be nicely browned. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for no less than 30 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of cake pan. Then cover the pan with an upside down dinner-plate and flip the cake to the plate. Result: apple side up on the plate then cut to desired amount of servings.
6. SERVE: room-temperature. TOP: individual servings with a whipped-topping for an extra wow to this tasty cake. Enjoy!
Edited September 02 2012 by Siafu
Benjamin Ethier

Sthiss

October 01 2012
My favorite recipe in the world is for a home made pizza... one that needs to be divided up and served at a potluck, with minimal per person consumption due to extremely high fat ratio

First and foremost, every grocery store has refrigerated pizza dough.

1 thin crust pizza dough canister
1 sweet onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 lb. cooked crispy bacon, broken to bits
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 cups mayonnaise
1 lb. shredded swiss cheese

layer all ingredients on a greased pan with crust down first, and cheese last

bake at 350 for 10-15 min until cheese is golden on top!

Eat like you mean it! Seriously!

Unknown Person

October 04 2012
I stumbled upon a great recipe for a lemon drop martini. Oh and if you're not of legal drinking age, file this away for when you are as I, in no way, shape or form advocate under-age drinking. ;)

Start with one part vodka; Ketel One or Ciroc will do. The smoother the better.

One part fresh-squeezed lemon juice or lemonade if you like it sweeter.

Two tablespoons of lemon curd.

For the lemon curd you may want to soften it up a bit first so that it blends easily once shaken otherwise it tends to clump. You can warm it over low heat in a small skillet then pour it along with all the other ingredients into a martini shaker with a good amount of ice.
Then shake it like your inertial dampeners have gone offline while traveling through the Delta Quadrant terminus of the Barzan wormhole with Troi at the helm and pour it into a chilled class. The lemon curd gives an excellent frothiness and the perfect balance between sweet and tart.

Cheers Fleetie Darlings!
Edited October 04 2012 by Unknown Person