Perhaps a precursor to a "Federation" style economy?

Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

August 13 2015
I most certainly hope they will continue with this. Yes, some people will not start working if they can manage it with the money they're getting, but others will. It will totally depend on the person.
2 people liked this
Volkrov (Eurrsk) Ruk

Eurrsk

August 13 2015
Especially could be helpful for those suffering from physical and mental illnesses & disabilities too, to help pay for all the services and medicines required to help and alleviate their struggles. :)
3 people liked this
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

August 14 2015
True, but here in the Netherlands stuff like that is taken care of quite well. Granted, it was better a couple of years ago, but it's still better than in a lot of other countries.
3 people liked this
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

August 14 2015
Quote by Eurrsk
Especially could be helpful for those suffering from physical and mental illnesses & disabilities too, to help pay for all the services and medicines required to help and alleviate their struggles. :)

Seriously, yes this would be great for that. The things you go through just as you're getting to that point are bad, but when you finally reach them they get worse.
3 people liked this
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

August 14 2015
More and more work is being automated. There will not be enough work for all working-age adults to have a 40-hour week--some would say we're already there. We will either move to this sort of economy out of necessity, or we will suffer revolt and revolution as the number people who are unable to provide for their basic means through the conventional economy grows exponentially.
Lesley

LesleyA

August 15 2015
I think the author Iain Banks fictional society called the culture was based on this idea. The idea was that sentient machines did all the work and the population worked more for personal interest, and or to relieve boredom rather than any need to earn an income.

Iain Banks on the Culture

Disclaimer: Haven't actually read the article he wrote above but is the impression I got from reading his books.
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

August 15 2015
It takes a mind that can see beyond the literal translation and thought process. The more we progress the more likely it is that jobs will wither as machines can do the work we were doing. New jobs will still be created, though not as many, and over time this number has a potential to continue getting smaller with only a few moderate gains in the job market during the transition.

If you look ahead to the future and then look at the current economic problem... you will distinctly see that there are many college graduates with all these "skills and education" whom are out of work or unable to get work due to changes in the demand for that work type and/or replacement by machine/AI. When the jobless people with the credentials aforementioned all seek work at once there becomes an overflow in the market and a surge into the aforementioned non-credential areas. Now, look back to see that you are still only talking about one piece of the work force. If you add in multiple divisions of the current and/or experienced labor force (ie factory worker, restaurant, retail, etc.) then add in your constant - which is the new surplus of 'of-age' workers- you will see that the job market becomes flooded all at once -which is what is happening now- and there becomes a crisis of workers unable to do work because the skills/education people had are no longer valid/usable, and the market retains the constant influx of new workers which sets the division of skilled labor force vs new labor force against each other for the non-credentialed work detail.

Wrap this all together with the investment of acquiring a new skill set/education, couple it with the tremendous strain and drain it will place upon you -especially while not being able to get by in the interim, because nothings free right?- and then factor in first and foremost the age of the individual followed by their personal situation (family/friends/finances/home/etc.) and realize that a shift in skills/education is a difficult transition and may not even be possible, feasible, and/or obtainable for some let alone worth the effort based on current demands of the labor force.

To conclude, think ahead even more to see that when this model is followed the current number of openings in a field with demand for credentialed workers will close up as all these individuals obtain the new skill sets/education being required. There you have it. The cycle repeats itself. Don't forget the influx of new workers from this cycle coming in now as well...

The goals of personal enrichment and the betterment of society is where we need to shift our focus as a whole so that when the time comes humanity is ready to face this eventuality given our continual infantile steps.
Unknown Person liked this
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

August 15 2015
IN THE FUTURE, HOBBIES ARE YOUR WORK, YOU GET PAID FOR DOING WHAT YOU LIKE TO DO, AND IF YOU'RE NOT A GOOD INDIVIDUAL IT IS CLEAR TO OTHERS DUE TO IT.

I am all for a global version of this honestly, but, I know it's unlikely to happen in my lifetime.
2 people liked this
Michael Sawyer

mykaels

August 19 2015
Surprisingly I can see this coming to play. Daniel Pink wrote an awesome book called A Whole New Mind about how more and more left brained professions are being automated and that right brained creativity, something computers and robot overlords will not be able to do, will soon be the driving force of our world economy.

I am horrifically, dangerously left brained and I have seen my profession become more and more standardized and automated. Hell the new POS system we are getting at work basically makes my job brainless and I have had to take on 'different' types of jobs just to stay employed.

I think even within my lifetime people will be needed to create rather than replicate tasks and designs, especially as processing power improves. The workplace will cease to be some office with cubicles that you reproduce and reorganize data within, and instead, become any place you have an idea at.

Frozenlily

August 19 2015
"Jobless rate holds steady at 6.8% as results beat economists' expectations. By Pete Evans, CBC News Posted: Jul 10, 2015 8:37 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 11, 2015 2:57 PM ET.
Canada's unemployment rate has held steady at 6.8 per cent for five straight months now, but the economy lost 6,400 jobs in June. (Jul 10, 2015"

In Canada we have been losing jobs, fishermen are changing fields after decades of fishing and following in their father's footsteps. Some of the auto companies have closed and transferred down to their American branches. Our Zellers fave been taken out by both Walmart and Target and Giant Tiger. The Target stores lasted ONE YEAR and a bit! The CEO of Target's Canadian branch got more money from the stores closing last year that is 10x what all the workers in every store got.

Some of these things is what's been going on in Canada leading to our economy to suffer... I hope our election in October will bring back a better economy... That is the ideal economy that every country can work towards