Reuters: Real-Life Star Trek 'Replicator' Prepares Meal in 30 Seconds

Mark K

Atymnius

May 06 2015
Hello Friends-Fleetmates!

Saw this today and thought it was interesting (you may have already seen it, but just in case):

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/05/us-israel-meals-on-demand-tracked-idUSKBN0NQ1PG20150505

The creator says The Genie was inspired by Star Trek's replicator.

Not sure if this is the right forum or if the article is worth sharing -- let me know!

LLAP,

Mark aka Atymnius
3 people liked this
Volkrov (Eurrsk) Ruk

Eurrsk

May 06 2015
It's very cool! I know NASA has worked on a 3-D Pizza Replicator :D
2 people liked this
Mark K

Atymnius

May 06 2015
Nice!! Pizza is the first thing I would order -- NASA knows what's up! LOL
Unknown Person liked this
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

May 06 2015
This is an entirely awesome concept and idea. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this invention. One issue I have already is the greed factor...

"The Genie is expected to cost several hundred U.S. dollars."

~This part is reasonable.

"The team say the pods will be priced so they are comparable to a meal, snack or dessert."

~This however speculates that for materials that would be without extra ingredients -which our bodies don't need anyways - they would naturally be cheaper and as flash frozen foods tend to be and therefore would generate a drop in production costs and revenue. Now, what stands out here is the obvious market gouge in the words of the quote alone. Where is the desire to bring us closer together as humans.? Why must we focus on making something that costs less have a need to still cost the same as if it were prepared other ways? Simple...the possibility of not only greed, but also the risk of a start for destabilization of economy. Which in and of it self shows there are too many people who care more for money than humanity. I weep! If what I say is indeed correct then the pods should be marketed at a price lower then current market value and this should be a start in a global trend to eventually devalue the hold money has on people or to begin the trend of working our way towards ending the need for money in the world civilizations.

Edited for grammar.
3 people liked this
Edited May 06 2015 by medgirl1025
Cal

calx

May 06 2015
4D pizza! it'll exist throughout time! yummy :woohoo:
Unknown Person liked this
Angel

Angelsilhouette

May 08 2015
I was expecting a printer, but it seems that it will do all of the work inside of the little pod and you will end up with an improved pot noodle.