"How to Save Star Trek"

Steven Skeffington

Rasilek

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 07 2015
I agree with a lot of the article. Trek needs new life on TV, and quick. A different spinoff on a theme of detective-esque style mystery....there are tons of directions they could go with something like that, while even attracting a wider audience.

Whoever is directing the third film has a lot of weight on their shoulders, but TV or maybe even Netflix needs something good to breathe new life into Trek.
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 07 2015
Quote by Rasilek

Whoever is directing the third film has a lot of weight on their shoulders

If they refrain from using any lens flare, they'll be way, way ahead.
Unknown Person liked this
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 07 2015
Wouldn't Gary Seven be a great character for this concept?
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 07 2015
possibly, but the key is to make it more trek like than gary 7 might turn, so you'd need to have gary seven in space, or something of the sort, combatting and working with sector 31, temporal agents, etc... but only occasionally, you can't get too into that and make folks confused like enterprise did.
Sej @Ereiid

Ereiid

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 07 2015
The following tags have no closing tag: quote
Quote by Rasilek

I mean - we could hand the reins back to The Shatner. ST5:TFF was pretty light on lens-flare...

:evil:
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 07 2015
Quote by Ereiid
Quote by kiddkasper
Quote by Rasilek

I mean - we could hand the reins back to The Shatner. ST5:TFF was pretty light on lens-flare...

I said they'd be ahead, not going down a galactic toilet bowl. :pinch:
Edited March 07 2015 by kiddkasper
Sej @Ereiid

Ereiid

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 08 2015
Quote by kiddkasper
Quote by Ereiid
Quote by kiddkasper

I said they'd be ahead, not going down a galactic toilet bowl. :pinch:

What does God need with a starship?

...or a script editor, for that matter?
Stephen Douglas

Zoxesyr

"How to Save Star Trek"

March 08 2015
I don't think Star Trek lends itself to a detective story plot.

It has transporters, replicators, error-free lie-detectors, holo-decks, consequence-free time travel, and a few other technologies that i probably forgot.

The scripts would quickly devolve into the "Deus Ex Machina" of the week. The mystery-solving episodes of the existing series are some of the weakest.

I think doing a "Civilian" plotline (ala Firefly) would be very interesting in almost any era. Or several sets of mini-series focused on one group of characters at a time (like american horror story, or the old Outer Limits)