Elite: Dangerous

Joseph Baker

Jerran

December 26 2014
Anyone playing Elite: Dangerous? I never played the original wireframe one from 1984, but I got addicted to Frontier: Elite 2 in the 90's with its ability to allow ships to fly through atmospheres and land on planets. This one definitely has better graphics. I haven't progressed far enough to get into the story that changes as players elsewhere affect the game.

Elite Dangerous
Unknown Person liked this

Unknown Person

December 27 2014
Well I own it but have played very little of it so far.

I struggled to get to grips with it early on and found myself switching from my mouse and keyboard to my 360 game pad. This made things easier but It still felt overly clunky for my tastes.

I'm convinced the way to enjoy this game properly is to splash out on the flight stick and that's probably what I'm going to do.

But also the multiplayer is pretty non-existant. Me and my buddy did manage to find each other in the game but at that point we kind of struggled to find things to do together. The official forums is littered with people who want to play with friends (it is an mmo after all) but the game just doesn't accommodate.

But .. this is the thing. I bought Elite: Dangerous knowing that it's a game that will eventually "grow" into a great game and I'm happy to wait. Planetary landing and ship boarding is apparently coming and I think will make a big difference to "break up" the current game play.

But my name is Halish so if you want to bug me in game, please feel free :)
Unknown Person liked this
Joseph Baker

Jerran

January 02 2015
Heya, Halish! I'll see if I can find you in game sometime. My commander's name is Oberon Stark. I haven't been playing much over the past week because I've been moving to a new house. I've been using an older saitek joystick with a throttle built in, and I think you definitely have to have some sort of joystick. That's how the older games were, too. I've got a joystick and throttle coming today, the Saitek X52 (not pro), and it looks like it'll be good for Elite. I'll let you know how that one works out.
Steven Skeffington

Rasilek

January 14 2015
So I broke down and bought this game and, while it took me about 30 minutes or so learning how to fly, i'm really liking it. For me, it's everything I've looked for in a game with space travel, exploration, trading, and combat (among other things you can do). Too bad it isn't Trek, but oh well..

I started with the keyboard and mouse, which is doable. But I agree that to get the full experience (short of using Oculus Rift), a joystick and throttle combo is HIGHLY recommended. I broke out my Saitek x45 set from my Flight-Sim days and I am hooked.

The game is in its infancy with a big vision for development. But as a first release, it is SOLID. The universe is basically a 1:1 scale re-creation of the entire Milky Way galaxy, with ~400 billion star systems. Behemoth. All known stars, celestial objects, and currently-known exoplanets are included and added regularly, while the rest of the unknowns are procedurally generated.

There are a lot of beautiful places out there. I too am excited for them to add atmospheric flight and planetary landing, along with better multi-player cohesion. Star Citizen is expected to offer these kinds of features too, but if you're looking to set sail in a vast universe now then, next to EvE online, this game is a contender (if not easier to play!).

Feel free to add me as well, if you'd like. My CMDR's name is Zelryn.

Steve
Edited January 15 2015 by Rasilek
Angel

Angelsilhouette

March 15 2015
My friend was trying to get me interested in this, but said some things about rampant the open PvP trolling that turned me off to it.
Chris

Manderiot

May 21 2015
Sup all Elite Dangerous is awsome anyone playing or has started playing. Just looking for some people to fly with. add me if you want name is Trace Manderiot
Edited May 21 2015 by Manderiot
Chris

Manderiot

May 21 2015
Quote by Angelsilhouette
My friend was trying to get me interested in this, but said some things about rampant the open PvP trolling that turned me off to it.

You can play solo just you aginst the world or in a private group which is just you and friends or who ever you let in, you don't have to play on open and deal with the PvP, I don't cause I'm not confident in my skills to deal with all that can happen in the open instance. So yeah.....
David

LeicBear

June 24 2015
Hey guys,

Been playing Elite Dangerous since launch. Not much into the PvP side of things so I joined the Mobius private PvE group with around 10k players on there.

Also just got it for Xbox One, although it's just a preview version, but love this game ever since I first played the original Elite in the early 80's.

Looking forward to future expansions :woohoo:

CMDR name is Icobacca
Edited June 24 2015 by LeicBear
Steven Skeffington

Rasilek

August 06 2015
"Horizons" Expansion announced yesterday at Gamescon. Planetary landings and inherent content will be implemented in stages starting with airless moons. And you can ride around in a sweet dune buggy.

Teaser below, with more feature announcements to follow next week and beyond. Release expected around the Holidays 2015.

(Invalid video video code)
Edited August 06 2015 by Rasilek
Lance

colivia

August 13 2015
Hey folks, I just started playing this game a few days ago with a friend. My handle in game is Colivia. I searched the groups and found one called Stonewall, is that folks from here?

Unknown Person

August 13 2015
I like it so far, but I wish there were more content. That being said, totally looking forward to the new expansion! My handle in-game is Arrhae. Feel free to add away!