[TV Show] Defiance

[TV Show] Defiance

May 08 2013
So Defiance has been out for a couple weeks now and I'm sure many of you are watching it. What do you all think of it so far?

To me, it seems like a new Eureka, with a different premise which makes sense. Eureka had a good following and decent ratings for the Sy-fy network. Its understandable that they'd try to repeat that success, but I was never a fan of Eureka. I'm finding a lot of the reasons why I didn't like Eureka repeated in Defiance; bland plot lines, silly character drama. I find myself really not liking the aliens. They've completed destroyed the Earth, on purpose or not.

The mystery of the fall and what's in the cave is interesting enough to keep me going for awhile, but I hope this show finds it footing sooner rather than later.
Unknown Person liked this
Noviere

noviere79

Re: [TV Show] Defiance

May 08 2013
Quote by stormx2233

don't get me wrong its ok, but I have better things to watch.

This sums up how I feel about it quite well. It's not bad, per se... it's just not great.
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

May 08 2013
Quote by noviere79
Quote by stormx2233

don't get me wrong its ok, but I have better things to watch.

This sums up how I feel about it quite well. It's not bad, per se... it's just not great.

This is probably the reason that'll it go for several seasons! :P

I have to admit that I've been watching it too. But there are things that bug me. I can accept that they've rehashed others (Facescape, Firefly, Eureka - which I actually liked) but their use of some technology just doesn't jive. They use wireless communicators. I'll give you that they were probably brought by the aliens. But how are they functioning in a post-apocalyptic world? Also, where do they find gas to drive cars that are in really good condition after the Fall?

It might not last long at all. But I'll enjoy Datak being a weirdo until it ends. :laugh:
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

May 08 2013
I read the premise of Defiance and it seems to me they crammed every single idea that might be the least bit hip. Aliens! Oh, and post-apocalyptic stuff! And mutants! Oh, and we'll have energy beings, just because! I have no interest.
Brian Weir

Tamek

[TV Show] Defiance

May 09 2013
"And also we'll make it a space western, but set it on earth!"
Joseph Baker

Jerran

May 09 2013
I'm surprised no one mentioned Alien Nation as an obvious source.
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

May 09 2013
Quote by stormx2233

They need to explain more about the aliens that came to earth in the first place, and then why earth now has all the other races there.

Cj

Thats what bugged me, I wanted to know why they came, how they terraformed the earth etc etc.. other than just a voice over.
Maybe they will explain it as the series moves on... but sadly after the 3rd episode.. I was bored, I wasnt gripped.

I do like the title music though!! B)
Edited May 09 2013 by GXV3
Alex

CaptMakarand

May 09 2013
The gas is explained in the game lore/show lore.
Alex

CaptMakarand

May 09 2013
Quote by GXV3
Quote by stormx2233

They need to explain more about the aliens that came to earth in the first place, and then why earth now has all the other races there.

Cj

Thats what bugged me, I wanted to know why they came, how they terraformed the earth etc etc.. other than just a voice over.
Maybe they will explain it as the series moves on... but sadly after the 3rd episode.. I was bored, I wasnt gripped.

I do like the title music though!! B)

they came because a rogue star was on an intercept course with their solar system if I recall
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

May 10 2013
Quote by Capt Makarand

So we have to play the game to get a better understanding of the show?

I think not.
Joseph Baker

Jerran

May 10 2013
Quote by kiddkasper
Quote by Capt Makarand

I think not.

Yeah, that's something I've been afraid of ever since they announced the show and game, is that you would have to participate in both to understand. I barely have time to watch the show, so I certainly don't have time to play some tie in game.
Alex

CaptMakarand

May 10 2013
nooooo you dont. if you look up info on the show in google you can find out! Later in the show im sure they'll touch base with it.
Whittier Strong

SiranNataan

May 10 2013
Quote by kiddkasper
Quote by Capt Makarand

I think not.

As I understand it, the show was intended as a tie-in to the game--interestingly, not the other way around.
Alex

CaptMakarand

May 11 2013
All I'm saying is you dont have to play the bloody game to know what some facts about it. Merely can google them.

July 12 2013
So the first season has come to a close a couple days ago; how's everyone feeling about the series now?

Shawn Birch

Parker

July 12 2013
I have the season recorded but have not had time to watch it yet. I am not looking at any spoilers! I do want to get started on it though.
Seannewboy

Seannewboy

July 12 2013
Quote by Parker
I have the season recorded but have not had time to watch it yet. I am not looking at any spoilers! I do want to get started on it though.

You heard the man, nobody tell him that they all died and were replaced by androids that look like Bender from Futurama. ;)
Ion.sol

ionsol

July 12 2013
I ended up liking Defiance quite a bit. Not sure whether that's due to the amount of time I've spent playing the game though.

Thought the last two episodes were quite good. Just some spoiler tagged thoughts:

Super excited that we'll get a second season.

Oh, and just a random Defiance thing I noticed the other day. Rynn is played by Tiio Horn, who also played Destiny in the compellingly awful Hemlock Grove. She was the best thing about that show, other than Landon Liboiron's bum. "Stoopid ass-birds!" :woohoo:

July 12 2013

Quote by ion.sol
Oh, and just a random Defiance thing I noticed the other day. Rynn is played by Tiio Horn, who also played Destiny in the compellingly awful Hemlock Grove. She was the best thing about that show, other than Landon Liboiron's bum. "Stoopid ass-birds!" :woohoo:

Actually, I've been rewatching Farscape recently and was surprised to see our good sheriff playing the role of Liko.

Ion.sol

ionsol

July 12 2013
Hopefully I don't break the quote and spoiler functions with this post. Bear with me.

Quote by NicholasJohn16

Casthians as bad boy skaters

Perfect description.

Quote by NicholasJohn16

Actually, I've been rewatching Farscape recently and was surprised to see our good sheriff playing the role of Liko.

OMG!
Is that the episode where he, or Zhaan, kills that two headed bird thing, while Crichton is busy fighting a wizard?

I've been watching random episodes (because the AV club have been doing really great Farscape reviews the past couple of months), but skipped that ep. Although, Defiance could definitely use some Farscape-esque zaniness.

Grant Bowler will always be Constable Wayne from Blue Healers to me. :P