Just say no to gradients.

Just say no to gradients.

July 13 2011
I have a big pet peeve.  I find it very annoying when people use a gradient in place of the Rainbow Flag.  It bothers me to the very core and I find it utterly hideous.

Case in point:

Isn't it awful?

The Rainbow Flag is made of 6 (Not 7 or 8, turquoise and hot pink were dropped for good reason. Get over it people.) stripes of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple and in that order!

The Rainbow flag incorporates the three primary and secondary colors.  This provides the complimentary color (the secondary color) for each primary color which helps the piece look more vivid and bright.  As well, the different stripes help provide balance through the entire flag.  The gradient mean while just looks plain awful.

To help illustrate my point, this is what the American flag would look like if stripes were the same thing as a gradient:

and this is what the British flag would look like:

Just say NO to gradients!
5 people liked this
Edited December 05 2020 by nicholasjohn16
Eric

chemkarate

Re: Just say no to gradients.

July 13 2011
Ew. I can't believe any of those gradient flags are things that exist. Just... ew.
JT

Varel

July 13 2011
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth!
Robbie

RobyHardsmith

July 13 2011
the British flag makes me feel like I'm falling.
2 people liked this
Brandon Felczer

CapnBranFlakes

July 13 2011
I agree but I must say I do love the gradient in my sig... and I think you made that logo for me ;) :P
JT

Varel

July 13 2011
I think when used as a element in another image it's one thing, but when used as a replacement for the gay pride flag it's a whole other standard there... but that's just my humble opinion
Christian Gilbert

Zeryon

July 13 2011
hahaha You should have said something before I did the last cover the Time. :-P
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

July 13 2011
I like the British flag its tripy. I'm not o fan of pride flags to begin with but I really hate the 6 striped rainbow flag. Look at the wiki article I'm vary happy that turquoise and hot pink were dropped. My issue is that the black stripe(for HIV) isn't there anymore, seems revisionist like AIDS shouldn't be talked about. once there is a cure I love the idea of burning the black stripes.
Unknown Person liked this

July 13 2011
Quote by Zeryon
hahaha You should have said something before I did the last cover the Time. :-P

You don't wanna know what my reaction was when I first saw it, lol.
Kyle

QiqJoe

July 13 2011
Quote by NicholasJohn16
Just say NO to gradients!

This may be getting a little too nerdy (good lord, this is an STO forum), but I was never a fan of gradients. They were never useful to me. I always preferred the mathematical divergence and curl. They were much more fun to calculate. Ahh, curl, I miss you.

Now I have the sudden urge to sit in my living room reenacting the right hand rule.
Angel

Angelsilhouette

July 13 2011
I dunno... I kinda like the gradient version of the American flag. :3
Unknown Person liked this
Christian Gilbert

Zeryon

July 13 2011
hahahaha I can imagine. Promise not to do it again. ;-)
Chris

Propecius

July 13 2011
But ... but ... but ... real rainbows are gradients!

(Disclaimer: Unless you live in a cartoon world, in which case please proceed with your rant.)

So when you think about it, it's the rainbow flag that got it wrong. If they didn't want someone to use gradients on it, they should have called it something else, like the primary/secondary color flag, or the diversity stripey bumper sticker thingy, or just "the gay bars."

And the gradient is even more inclusive, because there are even more colors! So every shade of diversity is included, not just the 6 they knew about back in the 80's or 90's. (Let's see, there's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered, Transexual, Sneezy, Dopey, Doc, Prancer and Vixen.)

Of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Personally neither offends me. I did have a friend who hated it when lesbians put it on their car's bumper "upside down" (purple on top). But if it helped them define themselves, or got them laid, I say more power to them. (Has a bumper sticker ever gotten someone laid?)

Or maybe the gradient variation is for gay scientists? Or gay people who work with optics, or spectrography? Won't someone please think of the gay scientists?

:)
Lee

redcliges

July 13 2011
OR someone just washed it in warm water.
Chris

Propecius

July 14 2011
Quote by redcliges
OR someone just washed it in warm water.

+1

Unknown Person

Say Yes

July 14 2011
Friends, I hate that I have to be the one to say what we are all thinking. Clearly our Fleet Leader is clinically insane and has lost the values that we all stand for (Come on, you was thinking it!).

Accepting others no matter what they are or what they do (within reason) is exactly what the rainbow gradient and all gradients for that matter show us. We can change from one into the next without difficulty or hate. In fact, the rainbow gradient shows us how if we work together, with love, despite our differences something new and wonderful can be created.
Our Leader’s attack on the poor defenceless gradient clears shows that he doesn’t understand how we all feel. He has lost touch with the everyday person and we need to stand up just like we have before to defend entities that need our help, like the rainbow gradient.

Proof of the love for the rainbow gradient can be found all over the internet. Just take a look at this video which proves without a doubt that the rainbow gradient is awesome.

(Invalid video video code)

Or if that’s not good enough take a look at this random image that I found on a popular image hosting website.

Click Here!

Closer to home, proof can be found on our very own fleet forums, in this very section, in this very thread! Pictures posted by Nick to prove his point actually prove our point. This post was picked entirely at random *cough*.

Quote by SaintPlazma
I like the British flag

I think this proves that our Fleet Leader’s hatred for the rainbow gradient can’t be tolerated. It’s time to remove this Tyrant and install a new fresh forward thinking leader in his place. I suggest myself (you saw it coming, didn’t you).

Now before you all think I’d turn this fleet into some sort of British Invasion Fleet (No idea where you’d get that idea), I want to reassure you that I’d take this opportunity to not only right the wrongs that have been addressed in this thread but also go to out into the universe and make sure no more gradients are being mistreated.

Just imagine what the Fleet with me in charge would look like...

[attachment=3680]website_gradient.png[/attachment]

So let’s come together and rid ourselves of the hate and deliver love to all.

[attachment=3679]defenders.png[/attachment]

Defenders of the Gradients. Bringing together friends to create family.

Say yes to gradients!
5 people liked this
Edited August 18 2016 by Unknown Person
Will Tubbert

MarkNine

Re: Say Yes

July 14 2011
Halish... I want so much to support you, but as an American, no matter how bad things get under U.S. governance, I just can't bring myself to willingly accept British tyranny again. ;-)

Thank you for the smile though!

No Gradation without Representation!
Yezar Gentak

yezar

July 14 2011
Halish you kill me at times!! LMAO

Say yes to gradients!
Edited December 05 2020 by nicholasjohn16
Seannewboy

Seannewboy

July 15 2011
I hate to say this Nick, but i have to say Halish makes a compelling point.:lol:
Mark

sparkz88

July 15 2011
Oh those gradients hurt my eyes, especially the flags :S