OFFICIAL: New Star Trek series premieres January 2017

Unknown Person

July 18 2016
Great news! Feel bad for US and Canada but great for us :)
Lambda Corvus

corvus

July 18 2016
Ah, such is the tradition in Canada. We have a long history of being ripped off by a select few legal monopolies in the communications industry. Our lot is a bitter one, indeed.
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

July 24 2016
Oh.. heres the new Ship, Star Trek: Discovery

(Invalid video video code)

I dont know what to say..

what do you think of the ship? what era do you think the ship design is in?
Edited July 24 2016 by GXV3
Iain Smith

eazzie79

July 24 2016
Good thing ... It is set in the Prime Universe and not JJverse
Edited July 24 2016 by eazzie79
Lambda Corvus

corvus

July 24 2016
Given the starship registry number, I'm guessing it'll take place in a time before the Original Series, though not by much. Either that or we are getting a somewhat older ship that is still in service or is being brought back into service. It looks very much like one of the early concept designs for what eventually became the original Enterprise.
Unknown Person liked this
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

July 24 2016
Im also trusting that the.. CGI used to make this launch video, was a very rushed job, in time for a titillation reveal during comiccon.. as Axanar had better visuals (Maybe that's why paramount want them gone :p)

Im not so pleased they are writing the series like a novel, like Game of Thrones/orange new black/ Stanger things ... id much prefer stand alone episodes. I hate waiting and trying to avoid spoilers.

If @corvus is right on it being a bit before the original series, that worrys me also, as ENT wasn't that well received, is doing it so close to that timeline such a good idea?
2 people liked this
Kiera Skylar

LoonShy

July 24 2016
Honestly, in my estimation, this is either a generation before kirk (axanar era in other terms) OR a ship from that time being recommissioned for some reason after kirk's time, (the lost 1701-b to c era)

I have hopes for a good show with the name, but i need more info! So far this could be a remix of planet of the titans concepts like rebels is doin with mcquarrie star wars.
Edited July 24 2016 by LoonShy
Tsar Agus

WhiteOnmyoji

July 24 2016
The visual language I'm getting from USS Discovery, in addition to the registry number, and (not gonna spoil anything) What I saw in ST: Beyond. I am guessing this is smack dab in between the end of the United Earth Era and The TOS era. The registry is 670 prior to Enterprise, and remember when TOS happened 1701 has been in service 20 years before the 5 year mission started in 2265. (1701 Launched in 2245, TAS: The Counter Clock Incident)

Unknown Person

July 24 2016
Quote by WhiteOnmyoji
The visual language I'm getting from USS Discovery, in addition to the registry number, and (not gonna spoil anything) What I saw in ST: Beyond. I am guessing this is smack dab in between the end of the United Earth Era and The TOS era. The registry is 670 prior to Enterprise, and remember when TOS happened 1701 has been in service 20 years before the 5 year mission started in 2265. (1701 Launched in 2245, TAS: The Counter Clock Incident)

Maybe that's why CBS was so keen on trying to axe Axanar. Utilizing that design is, I suppose, some true fan service to actual Trekkies. Not too crazy about the design itself but I'm sure it'll grow on me. I'm just happy that Star Trek's going to be back on the air.
2 people liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

July 24 2016
Quote by corvus
Ah, such is the tradition in Canada. We have a long history of being ripped off by a select few legal monopolies in the communications industry. Our lot is a bitter one, indeed.

Actually, I think we get the best deal out of everyone. From what I understand, it'll broadcast on Space channel, so we can simply DVR the show (assuming space is part of your channel package), while everyone else has to pay for a subscription service, whether it be Netflix or CBS All Access.
Iain Smith

eazzie79

July 24 2016
In Canada it is being aired on Bell Media's channel CTV.
Cal

calx

July 24 2016
Quote by GXV3
Oh.. heres the new Ship, Star Trek: Discovery

(Invalid video video code)

I dont know what to say..

what do you think of the ship? what era do you think the ship design is in?

gosh, that ship.... :S

as others have thought, with the registry...it'll be in between ENT and TOS...so...we'll have the romulan war story :woohoo:
Lambda Corvus

corvus

July 24 2016
Whether we get to see the Romulan war will depend on how far back this is set (if it is set before TOS). Don't forget that it was the Earth-Romulan war -- pre-Federation. I want to see more of that particular war too, as Enterprise didn't leave us with much of anything. But I just can't see this ship being pre-Federation. The registry number isn't that far off from the Constitution.

Then again, do we even know what registry United Earth used, besides NX?

It's also interesting that this dry dock is inset into an asteroid. Little details that I hope are significant.
Edited July 24 2016 by corvus
Jared

jaredhunt

July 25 2016
The registry also seems to be based on the Space Shuttle Discovery's registry: OV-103 (OV stands for orbital vehicle).

Perhaps the additional '1' signifies the next Discovery ship in the name/lineage.

Would also harken back to ENT and the NX class registries, which followed the space shuttle program names, with Enterprise (NX-01) and Columbia (NX-02). The next NX class would have been Discovery; however maybe it was never made and Discovery was adopted into this new class.
Pnutt Buttah

pnuttbuttah

July 25 2016
The ship design and asteroid base seem to be based on Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art for Star Trek: The Planet of the Titans.

STAR TREK: Abandoned Projects - PLANET OF THE TITANS

Star Trek: Planet of the Titans

Quote by GXV3
Im not so pleased they are writing the series like a novel, like Game of Thrones/orange new black/ Stanger things ... id much prefer stand alone episodes. I hate waiting and trying to avoid spoilers.

I'm the opposite; I prefer the storytelling of serials and mini-series to episodic and procedural series. Either way, I always binge-watch an entire season at a time.
Unknown Person liked this
Seannewboy

Seannewboy

July 25 2016
My only complaint about the new ship, if it is that old, is the sharp edges. Surely if you can make a saucer edge, some of the other lines could have been rounder.
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

July 26 2016
Quote by eazzie79

Well, thank God for that!
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

July 26 2016
Quote by Voleron
Quote by eazzie79

Well, thank God for that!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I would not be surprised if they did this to lower expectations so the real ship they want won't receive as much negative attention.