How To: Images in your posts! (Nick will shoot me when the server fills up)

Rob

Duriansol

December 03 2016
Okay, someone somewhere, asked the question: How do I upload an image to the forums?

And I thought to myself... Self! Let's upload a bunch of screenshots on how to upload images to the SGN Forums, then quickly hide our IP address from the internet so Nick et al don't hack our computer for more storage space.

For "normal" forum users, you upload your image to a site like imagr and then use the
[img] [/img]
codes to drop the image inline of your text. I, personally, like to do things simpler by using the already accessible SGN server to host my forum images.

** First start by clicking your avatar in the top right of the forum screen.**

**Next, select Photos**

**As you can see, select +Upload**

**I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain this screen again. :) **

**The uploaded images are waiting to be uploaded**

**You can name a new set and hit "Add to a set" if you want.**

The next part is trickier. Once the images are uploaded, go back into the Photos (see beginning of tutorial) to see the files. In the tiny icon previews, right click and select "Open in new tab". This will take you to a page with the full address of the image in the address bar as seen in the image below.

**This provides you all of the necessary steps to gain access to the image from a publicly hosted image. Time to start a new thread or reply to an established thread with your images**

**And that ladies and gents and genders of all species, is how you add images to your forum posts. Please do so sparingly, I like my head attached to my shoulders.**

#SWCSale
3 people liked this
Edited December 03 2016 by nicholasjohn16
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

December 03 2016
Awesome, thanks for this!!

Unknown Person liked this

December 03 2016
There's a few other things you can do for nice images in your posts. If you want your images to have the popup viewer when clicked, instead of using the amazonaws.com link to the images, just put the image link directly in your post:

This will automatically handle all the necessary image code too, so no fussing with img tags or the like. Just plop the entire page link in the post. This actually works anywhere, so if you upload a photo and want to include it in a note or a topic you can do this.

Also, every time an image is uploaded, there's five different versions saved; original, large, medium, small and square. If you look at the image URL, you'll see one of these sizes appended at the end. Just change it to another size to get the different image. You can use these to select a more appropriate size or build a fun little mosaic in your post.

Also, our images are hosted on Amazon's S3 service right now so it'd be pretty impossible to fill it up. Its really just a matter of price and last month our image hosting cost a total of $0.09.
Unknown Person liked this
Edited December 03 2016 by nicholasjohn16