[Controversial Pet Peeve] So.. i made a new thread

Gareth GXV3

GXV3

August 24 2016
So I was wondering why people as of late are using the word "So" at the beginning of every sentence.
Has it got another meaning that im not aware of? is it peoples way of a warning before reading?
When did it first become popular to start a sentence with "So"?
If a person didn't add "So" at the beginning, would the sentence carry the same meaning of what you are trying to say?

Im confused!! lol :woohoo:

I am in no way having a dig at anyone who uses it, I just want to know what the meaning of it is.. and to let you know my face flinches a bit when I see it used

Feel free to add your Pet peeve/non understanding, I know someone in this fleet hates gradients and all types of happy colours..
4 people liked this
Edited August 24 2016 by GXV3
Bren Ohmsford

Bren

August 24 2016
So I have no idea, tbh... :silly:
2 people liked this
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

August 24 2016
So when I saw your post, I started thinking about this. So I can't really recall this being used more than usually lately. So I don't know any other meaning of the word either, aside from it indicating a conclusion.

ps: I'm sorry, I know I'm an annoying ass at times. I just couldn't resist :P
2 people liked this
Robert

robin

August 24 2016
So I don't think it's a really recent thing. I'm fairly certain I saw it used for years like this.
From what little I learned Arabic, I noticed that paragraphs in newspapers would often just start with an "And". A similar thing, I suppose, so the phenomenon is not just limited to English.
It's like clearing your throat before delivering a speech. Ever noticed how often people do it? And it doesn't really serve any useful purpose, either.
Gavin

nivagni

August 24 2016
So after reading your problem I realized I have not come across this problem, or at least I have not noticed it before now.

Coming from Northern Ireland everyone here tends to finish every sentence with "So it is"
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

August 24 2016
Hmm could introduce a question, and there's nothing like ending an argument with "So there!"

My biggest pet peeve is nonuse of the oxford comma...
2 people liked this
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

August 25 2016
Quote by SaintPlazma

I have heard of the Oxford comma, but I have no idea what it is or when it is supposed to be used. Could someone explain please?
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

August 25 2016
Quote by Lars1091
Quote by SaintPlazma

I have heard of the Oxford comma, but I have no idea what it is or when it is supposed to be used. Could someone explain please?

The comma before and when making a list.
I like the thank my parents, Han Solo, and Julian Basher. Oxford comma

I like to thank my parents, Han Solo and Julian Basher no comma.

The comma befor and makes a clearer, and cleaner sentace.
3 people liked this
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

August 25 2016
Ah oke.
It looks kind of redundant to me. In Dutch, the comma and "and" both mean the same thing in a list, namely that the list is continuing.

For us, the Oxford comma comes across as:
I like to thank my parents and Han Solo and and Julian Bashir. (Notice the double "and" before Julian Bashir)

The fact that we use commas is to avoid a constant repeat of "and". We do use "and", but right before the last item, as an indication that the list is coming to an end.

But that is how I experience the Oxford comma and is probably why I never really gave it much thought. I don't know if that is the same for other people though.
Unknown Person liked this
Shawn Birch

Parker

August 25 2016
For me, and I have found myself using So often to start sentences, I caught on to it working with folks from India. They tend to use it a lot, like A LOT. So I have picked it up. I try not to use it but it comes out more often than not.

So, in conclusion, So is used a lot.
Ted Hembach

TLara

August 25 2016
Hey Gareth! It is always very funny what you come up with. Your awareness is great, and I think I can offer a theory for your perception.

Indeed there is a little increase in the use of confirmation words like "so" or "thus" in the last ten years or so. As I am a media business manager, I noticed that news and advertisements changed in the last few years, and I think it comes with a phenomenon called "negativity bias". Which means, in short, that news and media prefer bad news over good ones, because the audiance reacts more to them than otherwise. IMO that process speeded up since 9.11.

If you want to get deeper into this topic, here is a link:
Psychology: Why bad news dominate the headlines (from BBC)
Please note how often the author starts his sentences with "so" to make a conclusion. (lol)
Jamie

tuvak

August 26 2016
Here are 3 things that have been on my radar:

1) I actually mentioned the overuse of the word "So" when people begin and end their sentences just last week at work. It's a horribly overused thing, especially the people from our corporate office in Pittsburgh. "So I talked to John, and when we were done the takeaway was for me to ask someone else. So..." yeah, so..... what? So then I went and baked a cake, bought a car, quit, ... , what?

2) My personal peeve is the word 'basically'. I detest it. There's no use for it. If you combine it with the word "so" it's even more annoying. "Basically what it means is that you need to paint it with 2 coats and not 1." Ok, do I basically have to do that or do I really need to? It's like the person's trying to do you a favor by making it sound simpler or that there's more info he/she knows but isn't sharing. Just tell me what it is.

3) Not a peeve of mine but I notice it all the time. When a person uses the word "they" to try and convey a singular form of a pronoun instead of using he, she, or he/she. Although it's somewhat grammatically acceptable, it is just stupid. You can google "singular they" and find a lot of stuff about it. It just makes me think the person is lazy. "A person needs to vote their conscience." It just sounds so much better as "A person needs to vote his or her conscience."

3) Anybody named after a country.
Edited August 26 2016 by tuvak
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

August 26 2016
Quote by tuvak

1) I actually mentioned the overuse of the word "So" when people begin and end their sentences just last week at work. It's a horribly overused thing, especially the people from our corporate office in Pittsburgh. "So I talked to John, and when we were done the takeaway was for me to ask someone else. So..." yeah, so..... what? So then I went and baked a cake, bought a car, quit, ... , what?

This is exactly what I mean! :P
Im hoping that people will notice this now that we've brought it up.
Jamie

tuvak

August 26 2016
Pet Peevers unite!!! Now all we need is a trademark, servicemark, a logo, and some people to make fun of. :-)
Simon Leech

adera59th

August 26 2016
I have to admit being guilty of starting sentences with "So". That being said, I use it more in a text message or IM context than I do when writing emails or any business document. I find it more conversational.

Here are a few others:
The trailing "so" in conversation drives me bonkers. For example (and a poor one at that) - "I really have to get to the store and buy groceries...so....." It's as if it's up to the listener to finish the sentence or statement themselves.

Conversationally, starting a sentence with "I mean" when used prior to any other statement being offered that the speaker needs to clarify, also drives me loopy - "I mean, I really have to get to the store and buy groceries...so...".

Not using adverbs correctly. It's not "You need to eat healthy." It's "You need to eat healthily." It's not "I need to drive quick". It's "I need to drive quickly". My SigO and I have taken to yelling "ly" at the t.v. when we're watching shows and the dialogue doesn't use adverbs correct. Heheheheheheheheh...(correctLY).

Lastly, and this is more of a societal issue that I think television and film could be much better at doing - saying please and thank-you. When you next watch t.v. pay attention to how many missed opportunities there are for saying please and thank-you when characters interact. It starts to play an integral part in the way that the rest of society interacts with each other and being polite seems to have fallen off the radar.

Thanks for letting me rant. LOL!
2 people liked this

Unknown Person

August 27 2016
I don't mind it that much, but I truly despise when someone wants to ax me a question. There's no need for such violence.
Johnathan

TunaraDax

August 27 2016
Soooooooooooooooo!!!??? I dun get it? :silly: :blink: :silly:
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

October 15 2016
Chilie vs. Chili. Chili is a tomato based dish that may contain beans. Chilie  delicious,  and wonderful crop that my state is famous for.