Star Citizen (Space Simulation returns!)

Unknown Person

Star Citizen (Space Simulation returns!)

October 10 2012
Original thread title: Watch and marvel as Space Simulation returns!

n-chris-roberts-next-frontier
3 people liked this
Edited November 20 2012 by Unknown Person
Benjamin Ethier

Sthiss

Re: Watch and marvel as Space Simulation returns!

October 11 2012
ZOMG! I can't wait!!!

October 11 2012
The graphics look amazing! Is this one of those flying games?

Unknown Person

October 11 2012
Depends what you mean by flying games?

The game will have both space and ground combat. It has a single-player campaign and an online open sandbox environment (though, I guess details of how extensive this will be will come out over time).

Give the website a read / watch the longer video and a interview: http://backup-na.robertsspaceindustries.com/

He's using a "pledge" system like kickstarter but not using kickstarter.
Edited October 11 2012 by Unknown Person

October 11 2012
One of those games where you fly the ship First Person Style.

Unknown Person

October 11 2012
I think it's safe to say that it'll definitely have First Person and "cock-pit" views just like his older games. I wouldn't be surprised to see a third person "behind the ship" view but we'll just have to wait and see on that.

I think a lot of it will be a bit of wait and seeing. :)
Angel

Angelsilhouette

October 11 2012
OMG I LOVE space sims! :D
Paul

Starfish1

October 11 2012
Oh wow! That looks pretty amazing.

Unknown Person

October 11 2012
The official website went down due to high traffic yesterday which is why I have linked the back up site ^ up there.

But it's back up now!

I don't know how many of you have had a look but there's a pretty extensive (well two actually) FAQ's on the main page as as well as a write-up about the game.

To quote a few things:

Not a subscription but not free-to-play; rather a hybrid of these two business models. Much like ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2, you will purchase the PC game and pay no recurring subscription charges. Your purchase of the game will allow you to play in the universe for free, forever! The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase with in-game credits allowing you to spend money on items that offer more ways to express yourself, provide convenience, and customize your experience. But the cardinal rule regarding "in-game purchases" is: Players who spend money purchasing in-game credits will have no advantage over players who spend time!
Everything is bought with in-game credits. These purchases won't offer any advantage over someone who puts in the "game-time" to earn the same amount of credits. You might ask, why have "in-game" purchases at all? This allows us the resources to support the game on an ongoing basis as well as continually add content.

There will be public servers that we host for the main universe/game. The universe is going to be a persistent living entity, where your actions, (discovering a jump point and successfully navigating its jump for the first time, designing a ship for sale in the online shops, winning a key in-game battle etc.), will be woven into the history and lore of the game.

Even though there are other alien races, we're beginning with the human side of it. The Star Citizen universe has evolved into a futuristic version of the Roman Empire. We thought it would be very interesting to have Citizenship be something that you don't automatically receive. It's something you have to earn through civic duty or military service. It's a way to create a class system, which creates the potential for conflict among various groups and players.

Unknown Person

October 11 2012
Daaaaymn! That's hot B) lol
GeoM68

GeoM68

October 11 2012
*jaw on the floor* HOLY **** how long til its out??
Sam

SamRonin

October 15 2012
It is going to be a while yet alas.

Consider the budget he used on the last games of his. Magnify that by current costs and the pledge system. It would be lucky to get out by late 2013. More likely early 2014.

If the pledges go well then hopefully that will bring in the professional investors to fill the gaps and really get it rolling.

Then hope he does not do the same as he did with Freelancer. ie. Get a big company on board as the budget runs out and step away from it himself. Just imagining Freelancer if it had EVEs player run Economy or could of had sides take space from each other...

Also some concern about how he intends to fund Servers with a single purchase on each title.

But all in all I just want more space games out there so heres hoping Roberts has moved on and we do not get a simple retread of WC or another Cold War in space like Starlancer...

BSG reference seems apt. "All of this has happened before, and will happen again."
X Centric

Xcentric

October 27 2012
bumping cause I am very excited about this.

I'm so tempted to pledge obscene amounts to get the freelancer and/or hornet. but I really shouldn't.

I loooooooooooooooved the Wing Commander series.
Angel

Angelsilhouette

October 28 2012
Quote by Xcentric
bumping cause I am very excited about this.

I'm so tempted to pledge obscene amounts to get the freelancer and/or hornet. but I really shouldn't.

I loooooooooooooooved the Wing Commander series.

I KNOW! God why did you have to remind me when I've got all this birthday money. >..>
Hector

Odioshi

Watch and marvel as Space Simulation returns!

October 29 2012
Makes me want to dig out freespace 1 and 2...
X Centric

Xcentric

October 30 2012
Quote by Odioshi
Makes me want to dig out freespace 1 and 2...

Oddly I missed those... still playable? I got a bit of the itch

Unknown Person

October 30 2012
This looks really awesome and yes, the PC game is most definitely not dead. It reminds me a lot of the X-Universe games; X2: The Threat and X3. I played those a lot and I loved them. Totally want the Freelancer.
Stephen

Caeric

November 10 2012
Just found this today, and have pledged. Very much look forward to it, but will need to get a new computer before I can even hope to install it. My old AMD dual core / nvidia gtx260 would choke before it finished loading.

They have drawings (get stuff!) for recruiting too! After you have pledged you get a link for your recruits to use and they track new pledges by that. Get your friends to click your link!

Would be nice if I could win the main prize by getting the most recruits... that would be the computer I could play it on.

Unknown Person

November 20 2012
The crowd funding stage has finished.

The goal was 2 million US Dollars and the final count stands at: $6,238,563 !!!!!!

The stretch goals achieved include 100 explorable star systems at launch! Read more: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

They've also released some models of the inside and make up of one of the ship classes, the Constellation:

http://uk.ign.com/images/albums/constellation-images/50a56bb2f4918925b219d369
Unknown Person liked this
Edited November 20 2012 by Unknown Person
Ben

Gravity

Re: Star Citizen (Space Simulation returns!)

November 21 2012
If you guys want a massive space sim you should try the X series of games while we wait till star citizen actually gets made :P