Halloween Pre-Event Story!

Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

October 16 2017

Halloween is nearly upon us, and in honor of the spooky festival, @Voleron will be hosting Stonewall Fleet's Halloween Fright Night event on Saturday, October 28th, 2017, for the fifth consecutive year!  Details on the full day of epic Halloween themed events will be posted next week.  Trust me when I promise you that you won't want to miss it, so be sure to save the date!!

To get into the spirit of the Halloween season in the week leading up to our 2017 Halloween Fright Night announcement, we're running this "Tales from the Lower Decks" Halloween pre-event, in this forum thread!  Together as a fleet, we want everyone to contribute to a scary story set on Starbase Diversity: Stonewall's starbase!

Participating is very simple:

1. Hit the quote button on the most recent story post in this thread
  2. Contribute to the on-going story by adding up to a MAX of TWO sentences per post
  3. Make sure that your addition to the story builds on the post before yours
  4. Allow AT LEAST TWO other people to post after your addition to the story before you post again
  5. Make your contributions spooky and have fun!

Deadline for submissions is the end of the day on  Friday, October 20th, and we'll post the completed story for everyone to read on Saturday, October 21st!  Encourage all of your friends to participate to make the story diverse and interesting!

Once the story is complete, we'll put every participant's name into a hat for a prize draw!  One lucky participant's name will be drawn and will win 1,000 Zen (if in North America), or a 10x master key pack (if playing outside of North America).  

Be sure to keep tuned to SGN here in the forums and on Facebook/Twitter for our Halloween Fright Night event announcement that will be made this weekend!

5 people liked this
Edited October 16 2017 by Voleron
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

October 16 2017
Let's kick off the story:

The discharge from the lingering magnetic storm shook Starbase Diversity violently for the fourth time in as many minutes, nearly knocking Captain Voleron off his feet and sending an electrical surge through several of the EPS manifolds on the station's holodeck, causing the grid to flicker momentarily before the re-creation of the Risian beach dematerialized into complete darkness.  "Well, so much for riding out the storm in the comfort of the holodeck", @Voleron muttered to @Zander_Hawk, as they struggled to find their way to the holodeck door in the darkness.

4 people liked this
Zander Hawk

Zander_Hawk

October 16 2017
Quote by Voleron
Let's kick off the story:

The discharge from the lingering magnetic storm shook Starbase Diversity violently for the fourth time in as many minutes, nearly knocking Captain Voleron off his feet and sending an electrical surge through several of the EPS manifolds on the station's holodeck, causing the grid to flicker momentarily before the re-creation of the Risian beach dematerialized into complete darkness.  "Well, so much for riding out the storm in the comfort of the holodeck", @Voleron muttered to @Zander_Hawk, as they struggled to find their way to the holodeck door in the darkness.

Admiral Zander Hawk felt uneasy, with his starship (the U.S.S. Orpheus) away on a mission, he and @Voleron were left on Starbase Diversity for a few weeks.  He wondered why the emergency lights were not working.  As he held on to walls of the corridor he became unsure if they were even heading to right place "The storm must have fused a few circuits, the emergency lights should have activated by now...I wonder how long life support will last..."
5 people liked this
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

October 16 2017
Quote by Zander_Hawk

Admiral Zander Hawk felt uneasy, with his starship (the U.S.S. Orpheus) away on a mission, he and @Voleron were left on Starbase Diversity for a few weeks.  He wondered why the emergency lights were not working.  As he held on to walls of the corridor he became unsure if they were even heading to right place "The storm must have fused a few circuits, the emergency lights should have activated by now...I wonder how long life support will last..."

"Computer .. computer respond"? Voleron tried to summon any activity at all within the starbases computer, but to no prevail. Tapping his comm badge that was attached to his Risian swimming trunks he called out to Ops to see if anyone had a clue what was going on with the station.
A Stuttering voice answered ....

4 people liked this
Ted Hembach

TLara

October 16 2017
Quote by GXV3

"Computer .. computer respond"? Voleron tried to summon any activity at all within the starbases computer, but to no prevail. Tapping his comm badge that was attached to his Risian swimming trunks he called out to Ops to see if anyone had a clue what was going on with the station.
A Stuttering voice answered ....

... "Oh Captain Voleron, glad you're calling, something is totally wrong here, everything is flickering, and..., and there are..., there are electric discharges almost..., oh, what is this, hey you..., or whatever you are, stop..., stop doing this, you can't..." Suddenly the com-signal was lost. "That was a scream we heard when the signal went off, or?", Zander_Hawk asked.
3 people liked this
Edited October 16 2017 by TLara
Patrick Aka Trick

trick

October 16 2017
Quote by TLara
... "Oh Captain Voleron, glad you're calling, something is totally wrong here, everything is flickering, and..., and there are..., there are electric discharges almost..., oh, what is this, hey you..., or whatever you are, stop..., stop doing this, you can't..." Suddenly the com-signal was lost. "That was a scream we heard when the signal went off, or?", Zander_Hawk asked.

"That was me," @Voleron explained sheepishly. "I need to have a word with whoever designed these com badges.  That pin on the back keeps stabbing me."

@Zander_Hawk chuckled. "You know, it probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if you didn't wear it on the front of your trunks. Or maybe if you weren't always looking for excuses to slap your com badge."

"Never mind that," Voleron exclaimed, clearly trying to change the subject. "We have to get to the Med Bay."

"Why the Med Bay?" Zander asked, puzzled. "Shouldn't we be trying to get to Engineering, or the bridge?"

"Eventually, sure," Voleron explained. "But first I need a Band-Aid."

The two made their way slowly down the darkened corridor, eventually coming to a hatch that led to one of the ship's Jefferies tubes...
4 people liked this
Kieran Kiki

Kierix

October 16 2017
Quote by trick
Quote by TLara

"That was me," @Voleron explained sheepishly. "I need to have a word with whoever designed these com badges.  That pin on the back keeps stabbing me."

@Zander_Hawk chuckled. "You know, it probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if you didn't wear it on the front of your trunks. Or maybe if you weren't always looking for excuses to slap your com badge."

"Never mind that," Voleron exclaimed, clearly trying to change the subject. "We have to get to the Med Bay."

"Why the Med Bay?" Zander asked, puzzled. "Shouldn't we be trying to get to Engineering, or the bridge?"

The two made their way slowly down the darkened corridor, eventually coming to a hatch that led to one of the ship's Jefferies tubes...

Upon closer inspection of the hatch to the Jefferies tubes, it appeared they were covered by some sort of crystalline web that had a faint pulsing glow to it, mimicking synapses firing. "Space spiders? Really? Ugh. Why do the sonic showers have to be down now." 
While unlocking the Jefferies tube and beginning to crawl though the tubes, the metal began to creak, and faint screams were heard in the distance "Maybe Captain Milmar discovered the replicators are down... We better hurry." Zander muttered to his comrade...
3 people liked this
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

October 16 2017
Quote by suigetsu
Quote by trick
Quote by TLara

Upon closer inspection of the hatch to the Jefferies tubes, it appeared they were covered by some sort of crystalline web that had a faint pulsing glow to it, mimicking synapses firing. "Space spiders? Really? Ugh. Why do the sonic showers have to be down now." 
While unlocking the Jefferies tube and beginning to crawl though the tubes, the metal began to creak, and faint screams were heard in the distance "Maybe Captain Milmar discovered the replicators are down... We better hurry." Zander muttered to his comrade...

"Don't forget to close the hatch," Voleron said to Zander, continuing: "we don't want Milmar to steal our emergency wine rations before the storm is over." After some time of crawling through the Jefferies Tubes, Voleron turned a corner and screamed only as a Mountie can because of what he saw...
3 people liked this
Patrick Aka Trick

trick

October 16 2017
Quote by Lars-LordZandor
Quote by suigetsu
Quote by trick

"Don't forget to close the hatch," Voleron said to Zander, continuing: "we don't want Milmar to steal our emergency wine rations before the storm is over." After some time of crawling through the Jefferies Tubes, Voleron turned a corner and screamed only as a Mountie can because of what he saw...

A shadowy figure was slithering along the floor of the Jefferies tube, headed straight for them. @Zander_Hawk and @Voleron set their phasers to stun, fully prepared to use the kill setting if needed.

It moaned as it came, winding snake-like down the tube, the hideous moan getting increasingly louder and clearer as it came. It would only be moments before it was upon them.

"Fire on my mark," whispered Voleron, raising his phaser. Zander's quickly followed, and they could barely keep their hands from shaking as the creature crept closer, ever closer.

Then, a beam of light struck it, and Voleron shouted "Hold your fire!"

In the dim light, the pained face of @mstfrancis could barely be discerned on the creature.

"Wine?" It moaned, clearly suffering. "Did someone say "wine?"...

(I tried keeping it to two sentences. I failed. They keep growing in the editing phase.)
4 people liked this
Edited October 17 2017 by trick
Larry

Laeren

October 17 2017
Quote by trick
Quote by Lars-LordZandor
Quote by suigetsu

A shadowy figure was slithering along the floor of the Jefferies tube, headed straight for them. @Zander_Hawk and @Voleron set their phasers to stun, fully prepared to use the kill setting if needed.

It moaned as it came, winding snake-like down the tube, the hideous moan getting increasingly louder and clearer as it came. It would only be moments before it was upon them.

"Fire on my mark," whispered Voleron, raising his phaser. Zander's quickly followed, and they could barely keep their hands from shaking as the creature crept closer, ever closer.

In the dim light, the pained face of @mstfrancis could barely be discerned on the creature.

(I tried keeping it to two sentences. I failed. They keep growing in the editing phase.)

From deeper within the ship, a soft chuckle resounded, too low for the rescuers to hear, resonating from something dark that lurked deep inside its lower decks. It sniffed the air and was instantly fully aware of every biological function of the rescuers - their heart beats, the sound of their breathing, the warmth of their bodies - all these things it longed to caress, to pull from them, to rip from their souls, while listening to their screams of agony and dispair, and knowing that the agony would continue for days, weeks, even months, before it allowed them to expire in paroxysms of delicious terror.

**I couldn't get it to quote everything...**
3 people liked this
Edited October 17 2017 by Laeren
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

October 17 2017
Quote by Laeren
Quote by trick
Quote by Lars-LordZandor

From deeper within the ship, a soft chuckle resounded, too low for the rescuers to hear, resonating from something dark that lurked deep inside its lower decks. It sniffed the air and was instantly fully aware of every biological function of the rescuers - their heart beats, the sound of their breathing, the warmth of their bodies - all these things it longed to caress, to pull from them, to rip from their souls, while listening to their screams of agony and despair, and knowing that the agony would continue for days, weeks, even months, before it allowed them to expire in paroxysms of delicious terror.

The soft echo of footfalls paraded through the room, at first almost unheard, and Zander knew once again that they were not alone. "Wh-what was that?" Zander exclaimed sheepishly as his heart began racing even harder.

He looked around only to realize no one else seemed to hear anything. "Come on guys" Voleron said, "We still need to find Milmar! You know we'll never hear the end of it from the Klingons if any of the bloodwine goes missing."
2 people liked this
Michael

Mstfrancis

October 17 2017
Quote by Laeren
Quote by trick
Quote by Lars-LordZandor

From deeper within the ship, a soft chuckle resounded, too low for the rescuers to hear, resonating from something dark that lurked deep inside its lower decks. It sniffed the air and was instantly fully aware of every biological function of the rescuers - their heart beats, the sound of their breathing, the warmth of their bodies - all these things it longed to caress, to pull from them, to rip from their souls, while listening to their screams of agony and dispair, and knowing that the agony would continue for days, weeks, even months, before it allowed them to expire in paroxysms of delicious terror.

**I couldn't get it to quote everything...**

The crew lowered their weapons seeing mstfrancis in dire pain. His moans, became silent as he drifted into a fugue state from lack of wine, eventually the only thing that could be heard were the air recyclers softly humming, as the crew recognized there was nothing more terrifying than that of the silence of the station. 
3 people liked this
Larry

Laeren

October 17 2017
Quote by Mstfrancis
Quote by Laeren
Quote by trick

The crew lowered their weapons seeing mstfrancis in dire pain. His moans, became silent as he drifted into a fugue state from lack of wine, eventually the only thing that could be heard were the air recyclers softly humming, as the crew recognized there was nothing more terrifying than that of the silence of the station. 

The soft echo of footfalls paraded through the room, at first almost unheard, and Zander knew once again that they were not alone. "Wh-what was that?" Zander exclaimed sheepishly as his heart began racing even harder. 

He looked around only to realize no one else seemed to hear anything. "Come on guys" Voleron said, "We still need to find Milmar! You know we'll never hear the end of it from the Klingons if any of the bloodwine goes missing."

The creature, a wisp of inky darkness, moved in the shadows towards the lighted figures, shifting from shadow to shadow, moving from wall, to ceiling, to conduit, into the ventilation and out again, but always moving, inexorably, towards the figures in the light. It could FEEL their essences as it grew closer, patiently waiting to touch them, to feel them, to absorb them, as its essence yearned to drain all that they are into itself, to consume them, and with a single touch, turn them into its food.
3 people liked this
Isthisscience

isthisscience

October 17 2017
Quote by Laeren
Quote by Mstfrancis
Quote by Laeren

The creature, a wisp of inky darkness, moved in the shadows towards the lighted figures, shifting from shadow to shadow, moving from wall, to ceiling, to conduit, into the ventilation and out again, but always moving, inexorably, towards the figures in the light. It could FEEL their essences as it grew closer, patiently waiting to touch them, to feel them, to absorb them, as its essence yearned to drain all that they are into itself, to consume them, and with a single touch, turn them into its food.

The bulkheads in the corridor outside rattled as Th’val and her cadet (whose name she never bothered to learn) sat on the floor of the biology lab surrounded by PADDs, patiently waiting for engineering to fix the power. “Sounds like someone’s knocking, I should go see who it is?” the cadet ventured, only to be greeted by Th’val’s glare at finding yet another excuse to procrastinate from the set assignment; “who knocks on an automatic door?” Th’val replied “It’s just engineering taking their merry time changing some lightbulbs, just concentrate on the question: name 20 photosensitive lifeforms capable of consuming most humanoids with a single touch.”
3 people liked this
Edited October 17 2017 by isthisscience
Michael

Mstfrancis

October 17 2017
Quote by Thval
Quote by Laeren
Quote by Mstfrancis

The bulkheads in the corridor outside rattled as Th’val and her cadet (whose name she never bothered to learn) sat on the floor of the biology lab surrounded by PADDs, patiently waiting for engineering to fix the power. “Sounds like someone’s knocking, I should go see who it is?” the cadet ventured, only to be greeted by Th’val’s glare at finding yet another excuse to procrastinate from the set assignment; “who knocks on an automatic door?” Th’val replied “It’s just engineering taking their merry time changing some lightbulbs, just concentrate on the question: name 20 photosensitive lifeforms capable of consuming most humanoids with a single touch.”

The lights began to flicker throughout the station as the entity made its way through the walls hitting relay after relay, panic set in as Voleron realized the air was getting thinner, as he saw a thin whisp of smog fill the halls. 
“Nebular gas!” He shouted realizing the decks were slowly filling filling with a haze that scattered the light of his flashlight. 
3 people liked this
Larry

Laeren

October 17 2017
Quote by Mstfrancis
Quote by Thval
Quote by Laeren

The lights began to flicker throughout the station as the entity made its way through the walls hitting relay after relay, panic set in as Voleron realized the air was getting thinner, as he saw a thin whisp of smog fill the halls. 
“Nebular gas!” He shouted realizing the decks were slowly filling filling with a haze that scattered the light of his flashlight. 

A dilemma occurred to the creature - it sensed two distinct sets of food, in two different directions, two distinct sets of warmth and life on which it wanted to feed - and solved it by watching the gas from the exterior of the ship permeate the structure, then proceeding to mimic the spreading gas by dividing itself into two entities - both with the same, inevitable goal of consuming the life of its targets. It parted ways with itself with an almost gleeful sound, as it proceeded in separate directions to hunt down its food, as it did before.
3 people liked this
Isthisscience

isthisscience

October 17 2017
Quote by Laeren
Quote by Mstfrancis
Quote by Thval
From deeper within the ship, a soft chuckle resounded, too low for the rescuers to hear, resonating from something dark that lurked deep inside its lower decks. It sniffed the air and was instantly fully aware of every biological function of the rescuers - their heart beats, the sound of their breathing, the warmth of their bodies - all these things it longed to caress, to pull from them, to rip from their souls, while listening to their screams of agony and dispair, and knowing that the agony would continue for days, weeks, even months, before it allowed them to expire in paroxysms of delicious terror.The soft echo of footfalls paraded through the room, at first almost unheard, and Zander knew once again that they were not alone. "Wh-what was that?" Zander exclaimed sheepishly as his heart began racing even harder. He looked around only to realize no one else seemed to hear anything. "Come on guys" Voleron said, "We still need to find Milmar! You know we'll never hear the end of it from the Klingons if any of the bloodwine goes missing."****The creature, a wisp of inky darkness, moved in the shadows towards the lighted figures, shifting from shadow to shadow, moving from wall, to ceiling, to conduit, into the ventilation and out again, but always moving, inexorably, towards the figures in the light. It could FEEL their essences as it grew closer, patiently waiting to touch them, to feel them, to absorb them, as its essence yearned to drain all that they are into itself, to consume them, and with a single touch, turn them into its food.

A dilemma occurred to the creature - it sensed two distinct sets of food, in two different directions, two distinct sets of warmth and life on which it wanted to feed - and solved it by watching the gas from the exterior of the ship permeate the structure, then proceeding to mimic the spreading gas by dividing itself into two entities - both with the same, inevitable goal of consuming the life of its targets. It parted ways with itself with an almost gleeful sound, as it proceeded in separate directions to hunt down its food, as it did before.

“Do you think the others are okay?” the cadet asked; which was not the correct answer to the most lethal nebula gases.
Th’val groaned and threw her PADD down, “If they weren’t, exactly what aid would you render them when you’re this close to dropping out, cadet? Quit daydreaming and focus, I cancelled all your other appointments this evening.”

“What, even my therapy session? I can’t help it sir, it’s this storm and the darkness; I keep imaging things crawling through the station, hunting people, multiplying like a virus-” The young Betazoid buried his face in his hands, hiding from the PADDs around them as Th’val rolled her eyes and moved onto reciting the next set of questions to the imaginative cadet. 
3 people liked this
Larry

Laeren

October 17 2017
Quote by Thval
Quote by Laeren
Quote by Mstfrancis
From deeper within the ship, a soft chuckle resounded, too low for the rescuers to hear, resonating from something dark that lurked deep inside its lower decks. It sniffed the air and was instantly fully aware of every biological function of the rescuers - their heart beats, the sound of their breathing, the warmth of their bodies - all these things it longed to caress, to pull from them, to rip from their souls, while listening to their screams of agony and dispair, and knowing that the agony would continue for days, weeks, even months, before it allowed them to expire in paroxysms of delicious terror.The soft echo of footfalls paraded through the room, at first almost unheard, and Zander knew once again that they were not alone. "Wh-what was that?" Zander exclaimed sheepishly as his heart began racing even harder. He looked around only to realize no one else seemed to hear anything. "Come on guys" Voleron said, "We still need to find Milmar! You know we'll never hear the end of it from the Klingons if any of the bloodwine goes missing."****The creature, a wisp of inky darkness, moved in the shadows towards the lighted figures, shifting from shadow to shadow, moving from wall, to ceiling, to conduit, into the ventilation and out again, but always moving, inexorably, towards the figures in the light. It could FEEL their essences as it grew closer, patiently waiting to touch them, to feel them, to absorb them, as its essence yearned to drain all that they are into itself, to consume them, and with a single touch, turn them into its food.

“Do you think the others are okay?” the cadet asked; which was not the correct answer to the most lethal nebula gases.
Th’val groaned and threw her PADD down, “If they weren’t, exactly what aid would you render them when you’re this close to dropping out, cadet? Quit daydreaming and focus, I cancelled all your other appointments this evening.”

“What, even my therapy session? I can’t help it sir, it’s this storm and the darkness; I keep imaging things crawling through the station, hunting people, multiplying like a virus-” The young Betazoid buried his face in his hands, hiding from the PADDs around them as Th’val rolled her eyes and moved onto reciting the next set of questions to the imaginative cadet. 

**Posting on Kieran's behalf - he was having posting troubles**

"I'm going to need double therapy sessions after this..." the cadet muttered under their breath.

Suddenly feeling an uneasy presence not far away they felt their body stand on edge not fully paying attention to Th'val anymore.
One half of the creature moved towards the nearest lifeforms it could sense, destroying bulkheads in its path, rupturing EPs relays, disrupting bioneural gel packs, causing system after system to crash.

The lights cut out, and the remaining light was replaced by pulses of blue flashing light

"What is going on now?" stated Th'val slightly annoyed. 

"Blue alert. All personal report to code blue stations," t
he computer command then both.

The computer screens lit up with a single icon, the letter "omega" and was requesting level 10 clearance 

"Uh, sir? Blue alert? But that's for landing starships on planets! Is the station going to crash?!" the cadet asked, panicked.
3 people liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

October 18 2017
As this drama unfolded, a drama of its own was unfolding on deck 32, from within Fleet Admiral @NicholasJohn16's dimly lit quarters, which were illuminated only by the occasional flicker of a pair of Ferengi earwax candles that he'd lit on his dining table for ambience.  Reaching across the table and past an impressive spread of culinary delights, including Szechuan Targ, sauteed Ratamba stew, and a generous cut of snail steak, Admiral Nick clutched @Gravity's hand, holding it in a tender and loving embrace. 

"I've waited for five years for the perfect moment to sneak you into my quarters" whispered Nick... "commanding officers can't be seen in the romantic company of... subordinates, you understand; you're ABSOLUTELY sure that your crazy and jealous boyfriend @Dax_aussie_boy didn't follow you here, right?", worried Nick, failing to notice the glow of the Omega alert that had filled his workstation screen.

2 people liked this

October 18 2017
Nick wasn't sure what to do. Years ago, he had accidentally had flowers sent to the wrong quarters. After @Gravity had seen them though, he professed his love. Nick found it too awkward to reject him and after 5 years, it had been just too long to come clean now. Nick scanned around the room, trying to find any place to direct his gaze. That's when he noticed the curious symbol casting a glow in the dimly lit quarters.
3 people liked this
Edited October 18 2017 by nicholasjohn16